Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Questions

Smitty79

All of the book I've read say that you should be pushing hard enough in dry fire that you should make mistakes. What percent of the time do you think you should fail to make the par time?

Steve Anderson's dry fire book says that in a single training session, you should gradually lower your part time as you do reps of a drill. Ben Stoeger doesn't say that and I get the impression from reading he probably does a constant par time for a given drill in a given training session. For me, I only change the time in a given session if I:

1. Decide that I am at a time that I truly can't even come close to without compromising my shot calling. I must have been fooling myself when I set the time.

2. Things are going so well I decide it's time to lower the standard for this time and the next time I do the drill.

Am I reading these top teachers correctly? What do you all think?

I do both of the things that you do.

Your second sentence confuses me though... when I think "make mistakes" I'm not thinking of simply not making the par time, I'm thinking more along the lines of dropping a mag, missing the magwell, etc.