Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bull Barrel Slide Clearance

Shadow

I'm having a problem with slide to barrel clearance not allowing the slide to go rearward without rubbing.

With slide off the frame, barrel about 1/8" out of battery, I only have about .005 clearance between barrel hood and slide at the forward end of the ejection port. Dykem shows bottom of barrel is rubbing at the bottom of the slide barrel tunnel at 5 & 7 o'clock, on either side the thick metal in the cut just above the recoil spring plug housing where the bottom lugs pass through the slide,

I've never had this type of clearance problem before. For those with experience, is this common, and would you remove material from the slide or barrel for clearance?

Slide is an STI cut to ~ 4.5". Barrel is a SVI Hybrid.

It is normal for a regular bull barrel to rub at the 5 and 7 o'clock positions.

I think the problem is the fillet radii on the sides of the rib on the SVI Hybrid barrel. The original Schuemann Hybrid barrels do not have a fillet radius on the sides of the rib. On the SVI, the radii, if not relieved, puts downward force on the barrel. This causes the bottom rub marks that you are seeing.

I remove the radii on the sides on an SVI Hybrid barrel. I leave the rear radius alone.

Do not touch the bottom part of the barrel. You need the support of the slide to prop up the barrel during cycling.

Original SVI Sight Tracker pistols have material removed on the slide for clearance for the fillet radii on the rib.

Some people like to do things the hard way.