Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hands like bench vice

AlexOsensei

hi all friends of Practical shooting,

I have a question and i hope u all will answere,

How many strenght I have to use to handle the gun?

Somebody told me to do strongly ,to reduce the recoil

other told me ..forgot to reduce recoil just manage it letting the gun follow its cycle,

who can help me ?Do I have to improve my strenght in forearms?to grip firmly the gun?

thanx a lot u all ,and have a nice day!

Alex

Nothing wrong with strengthening your grip.

However, no matter how strong you become...you will still have to deal with recoil.

I'd suggests working on a grip and stance (technique) that allows you to return the gun to target with the least amount of "active muscling".

I am not suggesting to take a limp grip on the gun. I am suggesting that techniques exist in grip and stance that may be more helpful...regardless of the strength level that the shooter has to grip their gun.

A good place to start is the "tips" section on Matt Burkett's website.

http://www.mattburkett.com/html/catindx1.html

Consistent guiding of the gun durig recoil seems to be most important. Strenght will keep your gun flatter, but to be consistent you have to be relaxed.

The trick, I think, is to have a very strong grip, but no tension. If you have incredibly strong forearms, you can be relaxed and still have a very strong grip on the gun. Someone with less strenght will feel more tension when putting the same amount of pressure on the grip.

But then again, our Dutch ladies champ is very small and doesn't have a powerful grip, yet she can crank out .12 splits and can run with the best of them.

It was a long time since I shot my little browing 380. When I did I swear the recoil was harsher than my 40cal gun with major loads. They way the gun felt jumping in my hand gave me the feeling that I needed a stronger grip to control it. Several rounds later (luckily before the FP broke!) I realized I didn't need to choke the thing to death to control it. I just had to find the "right grip strength" for it.

If you're new to shooting guns or haven't really shot your gun at speed and driven it really hard, I can understand the natural tendency to "choke it down." But it's really not needed. Just keep shooting it at speed with full awareness of what it's doing and you're body will adjust accordingly. ;)

I agree with everyone here; please experiment and try what these people have suggested you. You are being advised by people who have a great knowledge on shooting... well, that was until I stepped in... :P

I do, however, grip guns somewhat tighter than most people I know. Most will say "grip it applying the same strength as you would while gripping a hammer", in my case, we'd be talking about nailing some big ass nails... :D I believe I apply more or less the same strength as I do in a firm handshake, and yes, I had people complain to me that I shake hands too harsh. (BTW, I hate when people complain about that, I think I'll go make a thread in the What I hate section... :angry: )

Another tip:

When using a 2 handed grip, squeeze harder with the support hand and ease up on the shooting hand. If you do any carpentry work, use the same grip you would use while swinging a hammer. No death, white knuckle grip, but a firm grip.

I am training everyday using Steve's book .

And aftertwo weeks I already notice some improvement in my draw,grip,mag change,etc.

Thanx a lot to all..

I have bought the vol.4 of Matt burkett too...But all of u talk about the 1-3 vol.

Steve's too..

I thing I have to find them..or not?

what they talk about?

thanx a lot ..

Alex

:D