Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.62x25 Tok

soundlzrd

I recently picked up a 550b from Brian and am enjoying reloading once again. I loaded up 500 rounds of 38 in short order for a class with Grant Cunningham.

With this new found enjoyment of reloading I am looking at other guns I do not shoot often because ammo is hard to find or indoor ranges will not allow me to shoot what I have. THe cz-52 and 7.62x25 AR came to mind. I have been able to find the required buttons, shell plate and powder funnel from Dillon but cannot seem to find what dies people like. I have been using lee up untill now, I had them before the 550, but they are not getting good reviews.

So, have any of you loaded for the 7.62x25 and what advise do you have?

Thanks

Sean

I have a set of 3 standard Redding dies (resize/decap, expander, seat/crimp) for 7.62x25 and they work fine. The RCBS set might be a good alternative since that is a 2-die set where they combine the decapping/resizing/expanding all in one convenient die that will help free up a spot on your press for something else more useful.

Most of these are actually often labeled "30 Mauser" since that is the parent cartridge of the 7.62 tok but the dimensions are the same, the only difference is that 7.62 tok is loaded hotter so the actual dies don't make a difference, your load does.

I dont think any of the brands come with a carbide insert for resizing, just steel so lube is a must. I use OneShot and it resizes easily since its so small.

For loads, you might need to check the VihtaVuori manual, they used to have some data listed. I personally used QuickLoad software since i was doing some custom loads and book data just didnt exist for that. Otherwise, there's nothing else really to consider other than standard reloading practice. Although its a necked cartridge, it still loads more like a pistol cartridge in the steps you follow. Since its far lower pressure than actual necked rifle rounds, you dont need to go crazy with separate trimming steps, they just dont seem to have any discernible growth. You'll probably loose or split them before they show any growth. But like a necked rifle round, do make sure you set your sizing die to bump the shoulder down to spec size and test the empty cases in your guns to make sure the length is good. Setting the die to cam over the press like you would for any die should resize them properly but be sure to test that if this is your first time reloading necked cartridges.

So do you have one of the 7.62 tok DI uppers from Ron Williams or CNCGuns? I have the CNC upper and used to use it for a local knockdown steel match with surplus polish ammo until that dried up. Now it just sits and i have a DI 9mm upper for that game--much more sustainable!

I never loaded plain pistol ammo for the Tok upper, however, i did do some semi-wildcatting by loading some light 110 grain .30 cal rifle bullets in the Tok cases to see how it would fare as a shot range rifle round. The beauty of having that upper on an AR15 meant i could load as long as i needed and they will actually feed from a 5.56 PMag since the diameter is compatible with the Magpul feed lips. You wont be able to shoot these from any Tok pistol variant though since they are just way too long. It didn't really prove to be all that accurate with the load combo i was experimenting with so i quit that endeavor after a few rounds of testing. Still it was a fun experiment.

upload_1000003E1061A7_2012.09.06%252C02%

Wow, Thanks for the responce! As usual on this forum, I get more than I expected!

I have Ron Williams upper, he was the only one doing it when I got mine. I too used to run cheap surplus, but ended up with some that is inconsistant and by the time I really got some rounds thought it, the rest was starting to soak up. which is why I am looking at reloading, or selling the upper, probably at a huge loss.

As for loading, you do not make it sound that difficult. I am suprised to find the longer bullets are not working well, however I am just learning, so maybe it is a bigger suprise to me than someone with more experiance.

Back to the original question being answered, I will have to look into the RCBS dies. with the 550 I wouldnt need/be able to use the expander so the Redding wouldnt make any sense. I am also curious if the RCBS use an expander ball. As for crip I could also us the RCBS seat/crimp as just a seat and a Lee FCD right? Also, I found an old thread via google that mentioned CH dies. I had not heard of him but they are semi local to me.

Thanks again for your help. Your responce is putting confidence back in the the project for me.

Edited by soundlzrd

Space is tight on the 550 so the RCBS dies do make sense. But even the redding kit would work, right? You would have Decap/resize -> expand - > powder -> seat/crimp. Or are you also using a powder check in there?

You dont need a FCD for this or any pistol round in general unless you have some excessive brass or chamber bulge issues to compensate for. I dont even know if Lee makes a FCD for a .30 mauser/Tok cartridge so that might rule that out right away.

I used the redding seat/crimp just fine and dont see a need to separate them. The tok doesn't require a heavy roll crimp so seating and taper crimping (actually JUST removing the flare) is all you need for that round so a combo die is just fine for this application. I know its customary for Dillon to promote seat and crimping as standard operating procedure, but i dont hink its necessary in all cases, especially when spots on your press are in short supply.

Not sure why my accuracy and consistency wasn't great with the rifle load. Was barely 1 MOA at 100 and i was doing manual powder drops with a trickler so it was all precise. I as pushing them as fast as i could with the magnum pistol powder on the verge of overpressure. Could be the twist rate, the powder itself, the inconsistency of the bullet, or who knows what.

No powder check, but it would be nice.

The only issue with the progression of dies you stated, is powder has to be dropped on station two of the 550 I believe. The other option would be to size off the press and tumble lube off, but one shot doesn't need that. Either way, I think that die set will work.

• 7 years later...