Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the logic behind 10.2.4?

Graham Smith

10.2.2 A competitor who fails to comply with a procedure specified in the written stage briefing will incur one procedural penalty for each occurrence. However, if a competitor has gained a significant advantage during non-compliance, the competitor may be assessed one procedural penalty for each shot fired, instead of a single penalty (e.g. firing multiple shots contrary to the required position or stance).

10.2.4 A competitor who fails to comply with a mandatory reload will incur one procedural penalty for each shot fired after the point where the reload was required until a reload is performed.

I got caught making an error regarding 10.2.4 last Saturday. I remembered a lengthy discussion in a CRO class we hosted regarding penalties and the point that was made that one penalty is assessed for each shot if the shooter has gained an advantage in those shots - like in standing outside the shooting area. So when the question of shots fired after failing to make a mandatory reload came up on a classifier, I said one penalty. I was wrong as can be seen from 10.2.4

Now the question in my mind is why was I wrong. A shooter may gain an advantage for that first shot after failing to do the reload, but they certainly don't gain an advantage for every shot. I simply don't get the reasoning behind 10.2.4.

Can anyone explain it as anything other than, "That's the way it's always been done?"

Edited by Graham Smith

Graham,

the rule has existed since my entry in the sport, but here's my speculation. I watched a lot of videotape of the Nationals from the early 90s, and a lot of the stages were short and quick, and contained a mandatory reload.

I'm speculating the penalty was made this harsh, so that people wouldn't decide to trade the reload for a single procedural.....

If the stage is quick enough, and if the standard for a quick reload back then was a couple of seconds at the top of the game......

In both cases, you are doing something contrary to the general rules or WSB, that IS giving you an advantage,
Works the same for freestyle/strong hand/weak hand stuff as well. Until you bring yourself back into compliance, you get one procedural per shot.
I suspect that Nik is coerrect that the penalty was made that harsh to dissuade someone from trading a single penalty for the advantage gained.

A reload might seem insignificant, but unless you're someone like Travis Tomaste, etc., it's going to add a not insignificant ammount to your time. When you have 1st and 2nd place sometimes separated by hundreths of a second, that makes a big difference.

because it is to prevent people from taking the procedural and burning it down with no reload. if your trigger speed is faster than your reload speed on a HHF stage you could just skip the reload and come out ahead if it was one total

For the one shop per for a significant advantage its kind of on a case by case basis. Shooter has a foot on the fault line and touches the outside with the foot rolling over or is just outside on a shot thats not a big lean shot or something then one total. If he goes outside to take a shot that is not visible from within and say eliminates a shooting position or 2 as a result then something like that would be a significant advantage

Works the same for freestyle/strong hand/weak hand stuff as well.

Weak/Stong is different. Each shot taken with both hands rather that one handed is a distinct advantage.

The time gained by not doing a reload may, as Nik says, have a bigger advantage depending on the stage. And it just occurred to me that one thing that was distorting my view on advantage is that this stage had a reload when changing sides of a barricade. That's a good deal less advantage than on something like El Presidente where there is no barricade and no position change.

It's all relative. But it's a mistake I won't make again.

Works the same for freestyle/strong hand/weak hand stuff as well.

Weak/Stong is different. Each shot taken with both hands rather that one handed is a distinct advantage.

The time gained by not doing a reload may, as Nik says, have a bigger advantage depending on the stage. And it just occurred to me that one thing that was distorting my view on advantage is that this stage had a reload when changing sides of a barricade. That's a good deal less advantage than on something like El Presidente where there is no barricade and no position change.

It's all relative. But it's a mistake I won't make again.

I guarantee you, doing a reload or not while changing sides of a barricade is still going to affect your overall time. It will have a larger effect on fast stages like El Prez or Can You Count, but it still has an effect on the time.

Also, I think stages like that, where you have to do a reload every time you change sides or target arrays, are set up that way to discourage "hosing", because if you miss a target and have to go back, you have to reload again. It's really forcing you to make sure that you get all of your hits the first time, or suffer a time penalty, (the time to reload.)