Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to change the shell holder on an RCBS Partner Press

bigarm

I have an RCBS Partner press that will be used mainly for sizing cast bullets. My question is how to change the shell holder, The manual says to turn slightly to the right to remove and left to insert. For the life of me I can not do it. What am I doing wrong? Is that a shell holder that is in it or just something to hold the shell holder?

The shell holders on the Partner are the same (as I recall) as on the Rockchucker - you slide them in and out of the top of the ram, there is a clip spring to hold tension on it. The slot is on the "front" of the ram above the primer arm.

Thanks that is what I am doing. I called RCBS and they are sending a new shell holder, but I am not sure that will help. I have 2 cast bullet push through sizing dies and they have a punch to push the bullet through the die. Neither punch will fit in the shell holder spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - new shell holder made no difference. I kind of accidentally won an ebay auction for a Rock Chucker. It arrived yesterday and shell holders slip right in. Called RCBS again and they are sending me a new ram.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like it is either a very old press when the Rams WERE the shellholders. Or someone replaced the original ram with an old school Pacific style where the ram WAS the shellholder. Thus, when you changed calibers, you changed Rams.