Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worn indexing lever on a SDB

To get to it you likely have to remove it from the bench.

It is on the back side of the main casting. Below the part that is bolted to the bench top.

Note: that is does not need to be "really tight". It is one of the few threads that does not have a steel insert and is very shallow with fine threads (aka easy to screw up). If it has backed out I would use nothing more than a nut driver to tighten it, maybe a drop of blue locktite, nothing more.

Edit: had one off the bench, this is it.

One more time "snug" should work. More than 10-15 ft / lbs could strip the threads, I would bet.

post-6631-0-55798600-1411179162_thumb.jp

Edited by jmorris

After doing as suggested I changed out the indexing lever and put it all back together again. Nothing now. Not even partial movement I was getting with old "worn" lever.

Started from the top and worked down. I forgot to lube the darn shell plate retaining screw. A simple dab of grease fixed the problem right up. After a week of pulling my hair out and cussing new fangled progressives it was a simple failure to lube properly. I felt like a moron.

Loaded 300 rounds of .45ACP to make me feel better :)

After doing as suggested I changed out the indexing lever and put it all back together again. Nothing now. Not even partial movement I was getting with old "worn" lever.

Started from the top and worked down. I forgot to lube the darn shell plate retaining screw. A simple dab of grease fixed the problem right up. After a week of pulling my hair out and cussing new fangled progressives it was a simple failure to lube properly. I felt like a moron.

Loaded 300 rounds of .45ACP to make me feel better :)

Thats intersting.

No lube on the shell plate bolt should not have 100% prevented the shellplate from indexing.

Glad you corrected the issue though.