Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 grain MG bullets accuracy

Red Ryder

Higher, but with one caveat.

Someone once told me the reason heavier bullets land higher is because they travel more slowly and simply stay in the barrel longer. By the time they exit the barrel the muzzle has risen ever so slightly more from recoil. Made sense from a physics perspective and I've never heard a better explanation.

But if that's the case, then a heavier bullet only lands higher because they are loaded to a lower velocity. Load one to the same velocity as a lighter one and presumably you'd get the same POI.

[edit to add second thought]

Hmmm... But would you then get more recoil because it would take more force to accelerate a heavier bullet to the same velocity as a lighter one? And would the greater recoil send it off at a slightly higher angle yet again? It sure would seem to. Okay, skip that whole bit about same velocity = same POI. But I think the original concept is still sound.

Edited by ttolliver

Ok. I sand bag grouped the 147 at 25 and 50 yards. 25 yards was 2-3 inch group 2-3 inches low at 25 yards. 4 inch group 3-4 inches low at 50 yards. It this acceptable? On a side note, a 50 yard target is really f%#&ing far! In both cases, they shot straight, not left or right.

Edited by Red Ryder