Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best shooting instruction books?

pcg

Now that I bought it, I'd also recommended Stoeger's "Skills and Drills." This book and "Dry Fire Techniques" act as companion pieces. You'll pay $45+ between them but it's cheap money, given all the tremendous information. I give Stoeger 5 stars for intelligent & sage advice.

I wrote this for a British forum and had the presence of mind to keep a copy!

Whilst I note that pcg doesn't want to get sucked into one discipline or sport you may miss out on some things. On my own personal journey I have found that out of the repetition and training come some great discoveries. These discoveries about how I learn and improve my performance have turned into skills that can be applied anywhere.

These are the books that have helped with my shooting in Practical Shotgun/Rifle and Rifle Steel Challenge. They are all relevant to pistol shooting in one way or another.

I would recommend getting the kindle versions as they are much cheaper and available instantly. You don't need a kindle to view them. There are free apps to use them on any smart phone, tablet or PC.
The Mental Game
With Winning in Mind - Lanny Bassham (also available in audiobook) Compulsory reading recommended by Steve Anderson, Bob Vogel and countless others.
The Talent Code - Daniel Coyle. This explains how we learn and how exceptional performance comes about with the body's production of myelin.
Bounce - Matthew Syed. A further explanation of Myelin from a champions own perspective and a look at other influences on high level performance. He is also English and a lot of his examples are British.
Practice Perfect by Doug Lemov. My current favourite for learning how to implement training in the most effective way. It uses all the latest discoveries and is the next step on from books like the Talent code and Bounce.
Attainment -Troy Bassham - (audiobook). Another good Bassham title. I have the aduiobook. Troys narration is not the best but the information is very good
The Dip Seth Godin - Not a shooting related title but helped me realise why you have to keep pushing in training to get through the dip and get to excellence.
Freedom Flught - Lanny Bassham. An inspirational story from Lanny. No real training benefit but if you liked his first book then look this one up later.
The Chimp Paradox - Dr Steve Peters. This is the guy that advises the Sky cycling team. Lots of people rave about it but I found it very hard to get into. It has helped lots of people, just not my cup of tea.
Practical Shooting - Brian Enos.
Pistol Specific Training
Your competition Handgun Training Program - Mike Seeklander - Fantastic guide to setting out a training regime for top performance. I have used this for my shotgun training with good effect.
Champion Shooting - Ben Stoeger - A good guide to practical pistol.
Other Gun related
Draw, The Greatest gun fights of the American West - James Reasoner - An interesting read on what probably happened in the Wild West rather than what is portrayed in the movies.
The Art of the Rifle - Jeff Cooper - A bit dated and not really relevant to practical disciplines but interesting in a kind of historical way.
Steve Anderson's Books
In my opinion Steve has had the greatest impact on my shooting, mainly from his podcasts. His first two books were good for training dry fire and classics. His latest title Get to Work is fantastic and a must read. Unfortunately they are only available in hard copy direct from America so it makes them slow to get and expensive. I would suggest you get "Get to Work" rather than the other two if you are on a budget.
Steve also does free podcasts where you will get 80% of what he teaches for free. There are about 120 and I started at the beginning and have listened to them all. Be warned he is a bit mad and breaks them up with Van Halen, barking dogs and lots of laughing.
If you have never used podcasts find a teenager to set up your phone for you. If you have a newish car, you can play them when you drive. My commute takes two hours a day and I find it better than the radio.
Ben Stoeger also does podcasts.