Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using different bullets/loads on a Dillon 650 - change-over

I have been loading .224 Hornady 55gr bullets for a while now, and I have a load that works well in my gun. I would like to get a load going for 69gr or 77gr bullets. I know that my powder charge and COAL will change. I know I could buy a whole separate toolhead and dies, but I figure there must be a more cost effective wa of doing this, that will still allow a quick change-over. Can you help me with a few questions?

1) I have seen micrometer knobs for the Dillon powder measure. I assume I can use this to change the powder amounts quickly. Are there any problems with this solution?
2) I have seen micrometer seating dies. I assume I can use this to change the COAL quickly. Are there any problems with this solution?
3) I already have a crimp die set up that crimps where I need it to, assuming a 1.750 case length. When I switch bullets, I would think the crimp die wouldn't need any adjusting since the case length is the same, irregardless of bullet. Am I correct?

Thanks...

Once you have your COL figured out for a particular bullet you can always measure from the top of the bullet seating stem to the top of the die and record it. The next time you load for that bullet just adjust accordingly.

As far as the powder charge goes, I never found it too bad to adjust for individual charges. If you wanted to you could buy another powder charge bar or measure the cavity in the charge bar for each charge weight you use.

Of course with measuring your die / powder bard for the COL and charge weight, things may not be perfect, but they will certainally get you in the ball park.

I use micrometer seating and powder dies on my Hornady LNL. Different press, same principle. In my reloading book I just mark the micro setting for each load (different powder, projectile, etc) and dial it up when changing loads. Never had an issue and it makes it feasible to do small runs. In fact, a powder micro makes working up loads almost as fast as regular loading.

Only issue I've had is that there's a set screw on the Hornady Micros that lets you adjust / set the scale properly. Just had one come loose - now need to add 7 to all my loads! Probably worth loctiting that screw once set if the Dillons have something similar.

Henny, I am not good/fast with measurements and adjusts like you mentioned. I need something more automated, but thanks for the suggestions.

Peter, thanks for the feedback on the micrometer. It looks like it is a viable option.

Thank you both for your help.