Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a Classifier Twice in the SAME Division

Graham Smith

We had a a couple shooters who wanted to reshoot a classifier in the same division for a better score. They wanted to use their original score for the match and their reshoot to submit for the classifier.

First of, after talking to both the former MD's of the club, this is something we have never done. I'm not even sure it's legal, although I can't rightly point to something offhand that says it's illegal.

But beyond that, I have no idea how to possibly enter this in to EZWS or Practiscore such that it will be submitted to USPSA without creating a problem. The folks that wanted to do this say that other clubs have done it, but that doesn't help me figure it out.

And, can't this end up in a situation where someone just puts down $50 and shoots the classifier 10 more times and turns in the best result?

It's perfectly legal to do so, and the phrase "Paper GM" wasn't created for no good reason.

In EZWS, you add them to the match again, and EZWS will ask if this is a re-entry. Say yes, they show up in the name box highlighted in yellow. You enter a re-shoot score for the classifier, and repeat as many times as they shot it. EZWS will use the NON-re-entry for the match score, and the best of all their entries for the classifier submission.

This is doable in PractiScore, but rather than creating a new entry and risk someone on the stage screwing something up, we have any classifier re-shoots recorded on paper, and we enter them in to EZWS manually. They never get entered in PractiScore, because we still use EZWS for classifier submission. One day we'll give that a try, but one of the clubs will be more difficult than the other, just because change is ... more difficult, let us say.

Also remember that classifier re-shoots (other than for the purpose of a legitimate reshoot like you'd do on any other stage) is purely at the discretion of the match director.

I've had matches where I've seen reshoots done up to four times. Usually only one of the actual re-shoots gets entered, because they're so hot to look at their hit factors right then and there that they'll literally throw away all but the best of the re-shoots. If you have three classifiers, enter the match classifier and the best re-shoot, since the middle one will just be ignored by EZWS anyway.

See page 4, 'Entering Classifier Scores In EzWinScore', in http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/Intro.pdf

Edited by jcwren

Thanks for the prompt reply. I can see why we've never allowed this before. We shoot under time constraints and can't afford to have matches drag on while people try and one-up their prior score.

In this case, we were running on time and the squad was shooting it's last stage so the delay wouldn't be an issue, but it's not a precedent I'm eager to set.

Personally, I'd prefer it's something we didn't do. Not my call, though.

We definitely don't let it hold up a match. It happens more often when a squad finished on the classifier stage, or if a squad is backed up on that stage. Otherwise, I only get one or two reshoots from all the other squads combined.

We charge $3 for a classifier re-shoot. In a July match, we made an extra $42 (gross) from reshoots.