Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paying Illegal sales Tax (AMAZON)

bountyhunter

Sick and tired of getting ripped off for 9.25% illegal sales tax because California forces Amazon to illegally collect sales tax on inter state sales from outside of Kali into the state from out of state merchants.

The real kicker?

Just bought something today that cost $1.99 and cost $4.99 to ship..... and Amazon charged me sales tax ON THE SHIPPING CHARGES.

That final turn of the screw.

For the record Amazon: I use your site to shop for products then take the description/manufacturer's number and do a google search to find it ANYWHERE ELSE..... just bought a new tail light assembly for my wife's Murano that way. Appreciate the help.

Bottom line: the states have ABSOLUTELY NO AUTHORITY to in any way regulate inter state commerce and they shouldn't be allowed to ignore the law. If congress passes a federal intertstate sales tax? I'll shut up and pay it. They have not and I am sick of getting gouged by California.

Edited by bountyhunter

Same thing in Texas. Last year the state threatened to sue Amazon if they did not start charging and collecting sales taxes. Amazon folded like a cheap suit.

In my case, I dropped "Prime" and reduced my purchases to only those items I cannot find elsewhere. In the good old days, Amazon usually had the best prices. Now that I comparison shop more often, I'm finding more items at better prices and without the sales taxes.

Bill