Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some CFE powder data with 147gr Bayou Bullets

Wolfactual

I have been reloading 9mm with Bayou Bullets 147 grn flat nose 1.135 to 1.14 OAL, 3.4 grns of Win 231 and a light crimp they generally meet 125 PF with some room to spare. When I chrono I always use a sample size of at least 10 for small sample sizes the statistics become an issue. I also like to use relative SD (SD/average) expressed as a %.

I am going to try Tite Group Starting at 3.2 grns and working up.

Back when I shot plated 147 Rainier bullets 3.0 gr of TG made PF out of my G34. OAL was 1.135". I have long since moved on to lead bullets. A 160 gr lead bullet shoots really soft. I load those to 1.150" in a Glock. They are loaded to 1.200" for my wife's new SA Range Officer. Trying to get an accurate SD out of mixed 9mm brass is not going to happen. There must be 50+ head stamps for 9mm.

I just posted this on another thread, then saw this one that is more applicable.

I've been shooting Titegroup but, as we all know, it is hard to find. I was able to buy 2# of CFE Pistol powder recently. Made the first trip to the range today to chrono. Loaded 13 rounds with 147gr Bayou bullets at 3.7 gr of CFE. Velocity ranged from 856 to 890, averaged 869 with std dev of 10 and 128 power factor. This was with an M&P Pro (5" barrel) in Houston, so essentially sea level. Temp was a balmy 95-100F.