Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Head angle and google glass

moostapha

I'm nor really sure where to put this question or even if its worth asking.

I'm not exactly new to shooting, but I'm new to USPSA (a couple months) and taking pistol anything like seriously...really enjoying it.

Is there a "correct" forward/backward head tilt?

The reason is that I wear Google Glass and very much enjoy taking first person video of stages. I'm left handed/eyed, so it doesn't interfere with my sight picture, but the screen has to be on for it to record. If I tilt my head forward like feels natural, its distracting having the relatively bright light in front of my left eye. If I keep my head erect, I never notice it until the stage is over and I realize it's still recording.

It seems like a lot of people tilt their heads down/forwards while shooting, and that feels natural, probably because of martial arts training and because my head was always tilted a decent bit forward for rifle as well.

sent from a device without a real keyboard, sorry for things that don't make sense.

its one of those things that is really personal preference. but jerry miculek in his handgun shooting vid on youtube says he wants to keep his head up in a normal position and bring the gun to it. not tilt his head down. he also stands quite straight upright and very square on to the target. he says this feels most natural and invloves the least actions (hence is more repeatable). so my advice is.....do what works for you, but if the google glass is hurting your shooting get rid of it. what do you prefer? POV vids of you bombing stages or just your memories of you winning stages? :)

The google glass is cool, but like Beer Baron said... Anything that you don't NEED that is hurting your score... Dump it.

I shoot with a contour cam mounted to my hat. Great shits and the only thing I have a problem with is remembering to turn it on occasionally [emoji482]

I didn't choose the Glock life, the Glock life chose ME.

Its not the thing limiting me yet, and the safety "shades" for it are closer to optically neutral than any safety glasses I've ever seen (well....the Mec glasses I used for rifle were better, but I doubt they'd be considered protective).

My vision also gets worse when I look up (head tilted down/forward) because my eye lids don't open that wide....I used to tape my eye more open for prone and saw an instant improvement (about half a point air, a couple points smallbore, both long term averages and stable). So, I probably shoot better that way anyway.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't "wrong", per say.

sent from a device without a real keyboard, sorry for things that don't make sense.

Sounds like these glasses could be a distraction and they may keep you from focusing on your shooting. What is your head position when you shoot without them? Which feels better to you: shooting with them or without them?

@glockified the positions with and without are basically the same except that right after the draw, my head sometimes tilts lower without them. It depends on the day and how aggressive my body reacts...and I'm not sure why. One thing I realized is that what's actually distracting is glare from the bottom of the prism. I'll probably mask that with painters tape and just wear it higher and see if that works....really, I just don't want to seek out new safety glasses....because I really have never seen better.

@alma yes, but I already own glass. I don't see myself buying another camera.

sent from a device without a real keyboard...sorry if something doesn't make sense.

@glockified the positions with and without are basically the same except that right after the draw, my head sometimes tilts lower without them. It depends on the day and how aggressive my body reacts...and I'm not sure why. One thing I realized is that what's actually distracting is glare from the bottom of the prism. I'll probably mask that with painters tape and just wear it higher and see if that works....really, I just don't want to seek out new safety glasses....because I really have never seen better.

@alma yes, but I already own glass. I don't see myself buying another camera.

sent from a device without a real keyboard...sorry if something doesn't make sense.

It would be pretty cool to make a timer app that incremented time and splits in the GG viewing area.

I wouldn't mind it collecting the data, but I wouldn't want to see it while shooting. Also, my sirt just came in, and I'm looking forward to training with it and dry fire targets (with video givingscore, times, splits, etc after the fact).

I think its worth using it, partially because I already have it and wear it most of the time anyway.