Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

quad carrier abuse comparo

I just got back from Ironman, and used a combination of shotgun caddies. Here are the results-

Tac-Com single quads- held on tight, even when laid on prone. I am 250lbs and 6'3", so I put some serious pressure on it! Fingers have a little more grab than the dual quad design. However, the vertical back of the bracket has square edges and protrudes up above the top of the shell. Digs in on fat-guy belly if used in front while bending over to reset targets or going prone. I hit the belt sander as soon as I got back!

Tac-Com dual quads- Held on tight, except front-center, even when laid on prone. On one stage, I lost one shell from the caddy in the front of my belt after scooting around on my belly to engage rifle targets at different angles.

AP Custom dual quads- Lost at least one shell in every stage when used on front of belt and going prone. On the other hand, MUCH faster to grab shells out of, super smooth. Best used on side positions if stage requires laying down.

California Comp Works 4 and 6 shell caddies- Reliable work horses for weak-hand load4. No failures of any kind, in any position. Not as fast as quads, but fumble-free and tough.

I will keep trying other brands/types as I acquire them, and compare results. At this point, I am happy with the mix I have as long as I position correctly. All suffered no breakages from my girth crushing them multiple times :)

AP Custom dual quads- Lost at least one shell in every stage when used on front of belt and going prone. On the other hand, MUCH faster to grab shells out of, super smooth. Best used on side positions if stage requires laying down.

I bought the replacement spring kit from AP and doubled up the springs on mine.Shell stay in place now even when going prone and getting back up.

Pat

I bought the replacement spring kit from AP and doubled up the springs on mine.Shell stay in place now even when going prone and getting back up.

Pat

That's a good idea, Pat. I hadn't thought of doing that. I use the Taccom 8up Qualoads and have one AP L4/8 that I don't really like because of the lack of spring tension. I might have to try this trick, thanks!