Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Champion and Primers

Smitty79

I've been thinking of picking up a Match Champion and diving into IDPA SSR. The reviews on the gun are all pretty good so I think I am on to a winner.

Does anyone shoot one of these with hand loads? Can I just continue to use the CCI SPP's that I use for my semiautomatics or do I need to track down some Federal SPP's to get reliable ignitions?

• 8 months later...

My Match Champion with a stock main spring shoots my reloads with CCI and Win SP primers without problem. We will see how it does after I install the lighter main spring that Ruger sent me out of the blue a few weeks ago.

Chris

• 7 months later...

My Match Champion with a stock main spring shoots my reloads with CCI and Win SP primers without problem. We will see how it does after I install the lighter main spring that Ruger sent me out of the blue a few weeks ago.

Chris

Well? What's the word on the lighter spring and action?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

With the "lighter" mainspring installed, the Match Champion still digests Win and CCI primers without problems. However, in truth the lighter mainspring hasn't affected the trigger pull very much. I suspect that it might be at most one or two lbs. lighter than the original spring.

I also added some hammer shims because the hammer was dragging against the left side. I still use Fed Small Pistol primers for my match loads, but haven't had a misfire with any primers yet.

Chris