Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bomar cut depth in STI slides

entropic

I'm going to try my hand at building a gun again. It will be a 6" slide. Here is my question:

I'm trying to choose between two STI slides: the tri-topped slide with bomar cuts and the same slide without the tri-top. I plan on tri-topping it, but I'm wondering if the bomar cut is the same depth on the non tri-topped slide. Thanks for the help.

Edited by entropic

I don't know the answer to that question, but when I tri-top a slide, I mount the Bo-Mar/Kensight at 0.900 in. from the bottom of the slide so that the sides won't overhang too much.

Standard installation is 0.925 in., which is the height of a Colt/GI dovetail to the bottom of the slide.

If I were to guess, STI would probably mount them from the same height.

Thanks for the insight. I just ordered a non tri-topped slide with bomar cuts from STI. I figured I would Tri-top everything forward of the rear sight, and just use a tall front sight? Do you think this would this look silly on a single stack gun?

Yes, it would look silly.

If the Bo-Mar is mounted 0.925 in. or below, then why not tri-top all the way to the rear. Nevermind the slight overhang on the sides.

A tall front sight is always in order every time you flatten/tri-top the slide. Around 0.180 in. high.