Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA Timing question - trigger bow & sear engagement point

tortuga

I have been looking at the relationship between the slide and the trigger bow lately, as it seemed my poor man's LS project had an issue. The hammer will drop before the barrel has come up into the slide 100%, which seemed like an invitation to firing OOB. I'm talking about the hammer dropping when the slide stop removal marks are lined up.

At first I thought that the TS slide and the 75 Frame combo allowed the trigger bow to rise and engage the sear too early. When I compared 2 75 slides and 2 TS slides all side-by-side, the cuts in the slide seem to be very very close to the same when measuring from the breech end, so that didn't seem to be the cause.

I finally put my 75 SA back together to compare- lo and behold, it does the same thing. The hammer will drop completely when the slide stop removal marks are lined up, and the barrel is not fully up in the slide.

The main reason I am asking is I have had what seemed like an OOB experience and it wasn't fun. Can anyone compare their rigs and tell me what you find? FWIW the TS trigger bar does not engage the sear until the barrel is all the way up and the slide has traveled forward a bit.

I just checked my SP 01 and it does the same thing, the trigger bar is engaging the sear even with the slide back to the takedown marks. Around .180" out of battery.

My TS isn't as bad, it engages the sear around .100" out of battery.

My SP 01 has always run 100%

Thanks for checking, Chase. As near as I can figure my issue was that a bulged or overlength round caused it to lock up with the barrel high enough for the pin to hit the primer but low enough to allow the case to blow out the bottom.