Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's vs Bayou

lstone

So I took delivery of some Bayou 180 gr flat point bullets today and was getting ready to load a few and decided to measure the difference between the Berry's I had already loaded. The Berry's measure at 0.5965 and the Bayou came in at 0.6335, I had been loading the Berry's a tad long on OAL at 1.133 to help on pressure. I am loading titegroup 4.6 grains and out of my Glock 35 it makes major which is what I want. My question is how much of a pressure increase can I expect with the longer bayou bullets length with the same OAL. should I load a taste longer to eliminate increased pressure or drop the charge a tenth of a grain. Thanks for the knowledge out here!

The Bayou bullets should be Major+ if the Berry bullets you have been using are the plated. I would think you are going to need to back off the powder charge to slow the Bayou bullets down to the Major you are used to so I would not worry too much about the difference in the length. Coated lead bullets produce less pressure but are normally quite a bit faster than plated with the same powder charge. I would guess you would need to drop your powder charge down to 4.2 or lower to slow the Bayou's down to the same velocity you are now getting with the plated bullets at the same OAL.