Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 gr Bayou Bullet keyhole

Sauernut

I just ran some thru my 550 as fast I could turn the shell plate and seat a bullet.

I use a Lee "U" die as the sizing die and dillon for the seating and taper crimp.

I got no shaving, I even ran some unsized as cast 200's and same result.

I measured the case mouth and after leaving the powder drop it measures .438

Thanks a bunch for all your help. None of my problems were the fault of the bullet. See my post. I guess I'm getting a lot of once-fired brass with edges too sharp on the inside. After reaming, I am able to load quickly without damage.

Since the ID of the Dillon seating die is 0.430, it will swage the 0.438 flare down to that anyway so I set the flare to 0.429 which is still plenty as long as there is no sharp edge on the inside of the case mouth.

I'll be giving you a call to order another 2200 of these tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just had a random thought, did you wet tumble your brass? I'm wondering if that could have caused the issue we are both seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I've heard of the inside of brass to have rolled burr, but can't really think of a cause for it in normal use.

Just had a random thought, did you wet tumble your brass? I'm wondering if that could have caused the issue we are both seeing.

No, dry media only. The only time I see burrs on case mouths is when I trim rifle rounds. I wonder if the place I am buying brass from is trimming 40 S&W?

FWIW, I can confirm that 200gr SNS (same bullet profile, same coating formula I'm told) in my trusty old single stage loads with no cutting of the coating or lead at all.

I know that doesn't help solve your problem with the 650, but it's a vote of confidence for the durability of the coating. I don't think I over-bell the brass. The test I use when adjusting that die is to put just enough flare on the brass that I can pick up the brass with one of the intended bullets.

What dies are you using? I am using all Dillon dies but the seating die is Redding competition. I am wondering if the sizing die is making the neck of the case too small. The neck is about 0.39 after sizing but the belling funnel does widen the neck to 0.40. With a 0.020 bell, the bullet base drops into the case about 0.12 which is plenty. But even so, lead appears when the bullet seats.

Sorry for not seeing this question. I see now that the brass was the issue, but FWIW I'm using Hornady dies and seating/crimping in separate steps -- crimp with Lee FCD.

Very interesting discovery on the inner brass edge though. It's hard to imagine why a brass peddler would trim pistol brass to length so I'm wondering if it's an issue coming out of the original manufacturing run. Is this a certain headstamp?

FWIW, I can confirm that 200gr SNS (same bullet profile, same coating formula I'm told) in my trusty old single stage loads with no cutting of the coating or lead at all.

I know that doesn't help solve your problem with the 650, but it's a vote of confidence for the durability of the coating. I don't think I over-bell the brass. The test I use when adjusting that die is to put just enough flare on the brass that I can pick up the brass with one of the intended bullets.

What dies are you using? I am using all Dillon dies but the seating die is Redding competition. I am wondering if the sizing die is making the neck of the case too small. The neck is about 0.39 after sizing but the belling funnel does widen the neck to 0.40. With a 0.020 bell, the bullet base drops into the case about 0.12 which is plenty. But even so, lead appears when the bullet seats.

Sorry for not seeing this question. I see now that the brass was the issue, but FWIW I'm using Hornady dies and seating/crimping in separate steps -- crimp with Lee FCD.

Very interesting discovery on the inner brass edge though. It's hard to imagine why a brass peddler would trim pistol brass to length so I'm wondering if it's an issue coming out of the original manufacturing run. Is this a certain headstamp?

I was about to ask the same thing. Mine are all Federal, what about you Sauernut?

This is all mixed head stamp once fired brass. Mostly Winchester, Federal, and Speer. I just started doing a very slight ream to knock the edge off. 300 rounds loaded in the last hour with no visible damage.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/bulletfeeder/powder-funnel

Try the above referenced powder funnel die. It creates more of a pocket for the bullet to sit in. The bullet remains vertical with no tilting from side to side. When I switched to coated bullets it was recommended to me by those more knowledgeable than myself. I have not had any problems with reloading coated bullets using this powder funnel die.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/bulletfeeder/powder-funnel

Try the above referenced powder funnel die. It creates more of a pocket for the bullet to sit in. The bullet remains vertical with no tilting from side to side. When I switched to coated bullets it was recommended to me by those more knowledgeable than myself. I have not had any problems with reloading coated bullets using this powder funnel die.

Thanks for this, I will give it a try.