Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sound Pollution Mitigation

My family owns a bit of land out in the Arkansas country and I have thought about creating a shooting range there. The location is outside any city limits and is large enough to be physically safe to make a decent 600 yard range with a nice hill as a backstop. The issue is that there are some neighbors about half a mile from where I would want the firing line to be.

Here is the question, could I legally build a 3 sided cabin of sorts lined inside with sound-absorbing material so as to create a suppressor room as apposed to having individual suppressors for each of my guns? I seem to remember seeing a video of the Swiss using a pipe lined with sound-absorbing material about 4 foot diameter for one of their government-sponsored range days.

Cheers

Canon40

If you are not operating it for the use of others on a paid basis, there is nothing the neighbors can do but whine. Unless you have county ordinances on noise control........ :huh: In our county any permanent structure must be permitted. As long as it is a "temporary" shed, (IE no foundation or permanent attachment) there should be no legal issues. As far as suppression, ATF regulates suppressors that attach to the gun, not structural sound control. Noveske Rifleworks has a test-fire room in their factory that sounds like someone is hammering in a nail from the outside, even with .308s. Nobody is going to have a problem with you trying to make it easier on the neighbors.