Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Brass

ppknut

I'll be starting to reload for this cartridge soon and have been checking unused/new brass prices and availability.

A few questions to you all:

1. I'm seeing a fairly wide variance in cost for different brands of new brass. For example, Starline at 17 cents per piece and Winchester at 27 cents per piece. Is there a great difference between these makers in quality and/or longevity?

2. This will be a new cartridge for me and wondered if any of you have pet loads? Due to what I've got available, I'll probably start with Win 231 powder and see where it takes me. These will be strictly for fun loads, no competition, self defense not likely at this point.

Thanks for any input.

I'll be starting to reload for this cartridge soon and have been checking unused/new brass prices and availability.

A few questions to you all:

1. I'm seeing a fairly wide variance in cost for different brands of new brass. For example, Starline at 17 cents per piece and Winchester at 27 cents per piece. Is there a great difference between these makers in quality and/or longevity?

2. This will be a new cartridge for me and wondered if any of you have pet loads? Due to what I've got available, I'll probably start with Win 231 powder and see where it takes me. These will be strictly for fun loads, no competition, self defense not likely at this point.

Thanks for any input.

Check out this webpage for comparison of 38 super brass: http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

Personally, I like the Starline brass a lot. No difference in how many loadings they take compared to Winchester or Remington in my experience.

As for the powder, as long as you aren't trying to make major power factor nearly any of the popular pistol powders should work. The .38 super is a great reloaders cartridge and very versitile. I've used ww231, ww452AA, 700x, AA No.2, , etc. for minor or sub-minor .38 super loads with good success. One of the most accurate loads I found was with ww231and 135 grain lead SWC bullets. Used them in a PPC type league and had some pretty good scores. Just go by the published data from manufactures or reputable loading manuals.

• 7 months later...

Check out this webpage for comparison of 38 super brass: http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

Personally, I like the Starline brass a lot. No difference in how many loadings they take compared to Winchester or Remington in my experience.

As for the powder, as long as you aren't trying to make major power factor nearly any of the popular pistol powders should work. The .38 super is a great reloaders cartridge and very versitile. I've used ww231, ww452AA, 700x, AA No.2, , etc. for minor or sub-minor .38 super loads with good success. One of the most accurate loads I found was with ww231and 135 grain lead SWC bullets. Used them in a PPC type league and had some pretty good scores. Just go by the published data from manufactures or reputable loading manuals.

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if Bamboo might still be around. He mentioned he'd used 700X for reloading the .38 Super. I haven't been able to find any published load data for .38 Super and 700X. I'd love to find some info on this. Anyone?

Thanks.

Thanks for responding. I will check out your link.

Specific bullet, yes. I'm currently using 147 gr. RN Copper Plated X-treme bullets (I suppose I could also use some of my 124 gr. 9mm bullets). They're fine for my plinking loads using Win 231, but my supply of 231 is decreasing at an alarming rate and, of course, no one has seen any for sale in any quantities lately.

Since I scored some 700X, I've been working up loads with the 700X for my 9mm, .38spl, and .45. and would like to work some up for the Super.

I just wish the metering in my 550 wasn't so erratic (at least a 3/10's swing) even with the aquarium pump). Let me know if you get a chance to look up your loading log.

Thanks again

-ppknut

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/imr_reloading.pdf

Looks like the IMR loading manual recommends about 4.5 grains for a 147 grain bullet in a 38 super.

It looks like I was using 4.5-4.7gr or 700x with 135 SWC and 125 grain conical nose bullets for low minor/sub-minor steel and target loads.

BTW - I found that polishing the inside aluminum of the dillion powder measure with a dremel and good aluminum polish helps a lot with getting consistency from flake powders like 700x, American Select, etc. Also, using the extra small powder charge bar helps.

Excellent! Thanks for the IMR pdf. I have that manual and have only ever used it for shotgun reloading. I completely forgot they have rifle and pistol data listed as well.

I once tried the polishing thing for my .308 and didn't get very good results. I'm not well versed in 'dremel' I'll have to get it back out and find some polish and give that another try.

Thanks a bunch. Now I've got a starting point.