Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Postage Question - Rear Sights

Hi Guys,

I have found a member who is will to sell me an adjustable rear sight. The only problem is that i am in Australia.

I know Australian Customs are fine with such an object coming into the country, but i am sure if American Customs will allow it o0ut of the country.

Does anyone have knowledge in this area?

Regards,

PJ

Hi Guys,

I have found a member who is will to sell me an adjustable rear sight. The only problem is that i am in Australia.

I know Australian Customs are fine with such an object coming into the country, but i am sure if American Customs will allow it o0ut of the country.

Does anyone have knowledge in this area?

Regards,

PJ

The only restrictions I know about are on hightech gear or devices which could be used for military purposes being shipped to belligernet nations like North Korea or similar. The US does not care if somebody sends gun sights.

If it is an integral part of a firearm (makes it work) and is worth more than $100 USD, then you need an export permits. Iron sights generally do not need export permits, I get them all the time. Once posted and it arrives in Aussie, then the local plod will want something at your end I believe. Sometimes not. I send sights to Australia every now and then from NZ. All the hassles are at your end. Tie up the paperwork before you get it sent.

The only restrictions I know about are on hightech gear or devices which could be used for military purposes being shipped to belligernet nations like North Korea or similar. The US does not care if somebody sends gun sights.

Certain optical sights are severely restricted. All Trijicon 4x with Chevron or Horseshoe and 3.5x with Horseshoe and Cross Hair sights are ITAR controlled. Export without State Department permission and Military or Police end user certificates will result in Federal charges. All scopes exported without permits are seized and destroyed on their return to the factory for repair or service.

Some Aimpoints, EOTech and Leupold are ITAR controlled as well.

Some scope mounts (LaRue especially) are also controlled in the same manner.

Some people have been prevented from entering the US in possession of said items and then deported never to return. That is rare, but it has happened. Some people exporting said items illegally has had charges brought, others (dealers) have had their FFL cancelled, and then the ATF visit to ensure that they are very unhappy with life.

I do not know right now of any handgun iron sights that are restricted by ATF / State Department through ITAR.

Many firearms / related companies no longer export due to the complicated nature of the State Department, even some who make clearly sporting optics just can not be bothered with the hassle.

US Customs also have their own rules that fall under and beside the State Department rules. Then there is the Commerce Department, then there is things called SME (Significant Military Equipment) this is a catch all for anything that they feel may assist an "Other State" to utilize that equipment for Military Purposes. This applies to friendly states as well.

All components for ammunition, and the equipment used in the manufacture of ammunition is considered restricted. Bullet moulds for commercial casting machines are also caught in this catch all. Machines from Magma and Balisti-Cast are State Department DSP 83 required items. So are all spare parts and equipment for those machines. Even the lube is permit required if it fits into a Star Bullet Sizer.

Yes it appears that the US Government is afraid of lead bullets making machines, and has been for 20 or so years.