Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sorting .380 from 9mm

Great idea. What do you guys do with hall the 380 brass?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I saved enough of it I felt obligated to buy a set of dies and a pistol in that caliber.

True story. :blush:

Edited by blujax01

When I saved enough of it I felt obligated to buy a set of dies and a pistol in that caliber.

Its funny you say that... I've thought of doing the very same. I've got tons of 380 brass (well... not tons literally but I've got alot). The G42 looks promising although no LGS in my are has one yet.

Its funny you say that... I've thought of doing the very same. I've got tons of 380 brass (well... not tons literally but I've got alot). The G42 looks promising although no LGS in my are has one yet.

I found a Colt for about $50 more than the G42. It was a no-brainer for me. B)

IMG_1234_zpsecd91374.jpg

IMG_1235_zpsd65bd76b.jpg

Edited by blujax01

Funny you says that. So I collect brass when I go to the range. Especially 223, and 40. I just ask people before they sweep into dirt if I can have it. So while trying my new sorter I have come upon about a thousand 9mm casing mixed in with my 380. So I decided to order dies and conversion kit along with some bullets. Decided it's time to add a 9mm to the collection.

That brass is like gold these days. 380 is hard to find, well at a reasonable price at least. The colt was a better option. Although I like my bodyguard due to its concealable size. Fits perfect in pocket with no visible outline

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, finally started the .380/9mm sorter.

The rods are Thompson Rods with ABEC-5 Bearings.

0.020" taper in width from one end to the other. (0.390" to 0.370"), overall length 18"

Pulleys are 0.600", so I can put a fat o-ring on them and drive them opposite, or use a belt to drive them the same direction.

Tomorrow, I'll make an adapter to snap into the Dillon collator with a bent drop tube to transition to the rollers. From there, I just need the small 12V, 200 RPM motor to power the rollers to show up.

From there, I'm done with that darn .380 Shellplate.

post-48714-0-18132900-1407637183_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I added a part to my drop tube to keep the cases from jumping out of the rollers (like the one at 0:08 in your video.

That is a lot longer than it needs to be to sort 380 and 9mm but it looks like the rollers have quite a bit of run out between the two as I can see the cases rise and fall as the rollers rotate.

You might see if you can clock them so they run out together like (( )) vs () )( if you can you could also sort 9x18 and 38 super with it as well. If they dont loose the "clocked" relationship, that is why I used gears to mesh the rollers on mine.

Good job.

post-6631-0-57341500-1408545988_thumb.jp

Yeah, I'm not happy with the rods at all. McMaster specs the rods at 0.002" run out over the length of the Thomson Rods. Thomson specs them at 0.001" if purchased from Thomson. I checked them with a dial indicator in the machine, and they are actually 0.0035 to 0.005 run out. I called McMaster and they sent another set of rods, which are even worse.

I thought about clocking them, but it's simply not worth the effort. It works as it is now.

btw, look closer at the case at 0:08. It didn't jump out of the rollers. It was undersized enough to simply fall through when it hit.