Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Pro Comp 40 Review

ak_tech

It arrived from Para USA via Fedex yesterday.

I unpacked and and examined the pistol. Worked ticked listed the following work done. /Replace Sear, Left Ambi-Safety, Barrel Bushing, Right Ambi-Safety/ Grip Screws/ adjust sear spring / Bench Checked for function / Test Fired 4 mags and functions 100%.

It arrived with obvious signs of hand fitting, which was a welcome sign. It also looks like the feed ramp was polished. I don't remember it being like that before, so nice touch and way to go the extra mile :) The sear spring adjustment helped. Unfortunetly I didn't measure the trigger pull before but now it comes in at an average of 5lb 5oz, which is still not good for competition. The refitted Barrel bushing was flush and snug enough. I have to say that every STI I have had was a little more snug.

Now for the bad news. Although they replaced the ambi-Safety it was exacly the same and with the same visible gap.They also did not replace the recoil spring plug, which I think was the original cause of the barrel link bending. i'm not sure that this means but according what people are saying it is out of spec. Use ISM springs with caution! I tried all the ISM springs I had (7) and they all fully compressed before the guide rod contacted the frame. This will cause the barrel link to bend as I have experienced. Wolff springs seem to work fine.

Excepting that this may just be something I have to deal with I moved on with slight disappointment. Now its time to fix that awful trigger. I set out to take out the series 80 parts and install one of the shims to fill the gap from the missing parts. The firing pin block was in their so tight I had to use a exact fitting punch and a hammer (and yes I pressed the plunger and pushed the firing pin out of the way). It was in there so tight that they had to have used a hammer to get it in there. Anyway after about 20 min I was finally able to get it out. After inspection it was just not fitted and forced in.

After the conversion to series 70 and putting in a 17 lb main spring. The trigger pull in now 3.5 lbs. It still needs some work as this did not fix the grinding un-smooth feeling that was present before.

Off to the range. Shot about 100 rounds and then a small local match which was about 100 rounds. No malfunctions of any kind and I won the match. Some trigger freeze but I think that was me as I have been shooting a Glock for the last 4 months.

So to end my review. Here are my humble opinions:

1. Is it ready out of the box? No. The biggest issues are the trigger. Use caution with ISM springs as the spring plunger may be out of spec.
  2. Very nice finish and attention to aesthetic detail.
  3. Accuracy was fine
  4. Once I figured out the above issues reliability was fine
  5. Warranty was fast but I cant say they fixed all the problems
  6. Is this a good value? It probably is. Every other 1911 I have owned was at least a couple hundred more than this one. Even my STI Trojan costs a little more. So im not sure its fair to compare this gun to these other more expensive ones.

So, would I recommend this pistol? This is a hard one. I think its best answered with a question to myself (knowing what I know now, would I have still made this purchase?). Honestly, I would probably spend the extra money on something else. I will shoot it for a couple months and see how it goes. Reading other posts on this and other forums there seem to be plenty of people who are perfectly happy with these guns. Which is why I made this purchase in the first place. So my experience may be an exception. Good luck and happy shooting.

IMG_1011_zpsc59760df.jpg

IMG_1010_zps196b4064.jpg

IMG_1006_zps6d51138a.jpg

IMG_1007_zps51e98aa1.jpg

Edited by ak_tech

thanks for the reviews on the PPComp. My friend and I are considering getting one. Am still looking around for something else, though.

I think it is still a Para no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig! Your really just buying a frame and slide. Still the same Para barrel/bushing/MIM slide stop/safety and rear sight as all the other Paras.

So what that it comes with Koening hammer. Any 1911 you get whether a STI Trojan or something else, most likely your going to replace all the trigger parts, if you really want a slick, 2lb trigger.

Para barrel...no comparsion to a oversize match barrel/bushing.

It can be a great gun as I own and shoot a P16 in Limited! But by all means it is not in stock form!

Forget about the resale value...

And since I live in Calif. cost of gun+taxes coming into Calif.+SSExcemption+DROS...well you get the idea.

The only plus is the mail in rebate for 100.00 dollars.

Edited by kimberacp