Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who does Anodizing?

Jukez

Just looking to get some of my 3 gun gear anodized, some of it getting beat up as expected, so thought about getting it anodized another color anyways.

Anyone know of people who will anodize extension tubes and so on? And the average cost?

Be careful with what you are having re-anodized. The anodization is an oxidation process so it's consuming a bit of the metal. I think (not 100%) that you need to remove the existing anodize before applying new. This means either chemical removal or blasting it off. Both will remove more metal. For some items it's not a big deal. I'd be real careful about doing it with stuff that has critical tolerances. I've done a few things in anodize but I always get them from the maker before they are anodized the first time to do them in other colors.

You might want to also look at Cerakote. I'd use that before trying to strip the existing anodize off.

Just my opinion though. And I'm not that up to speed on anodize, I'm just parroting what other folks have told me.

Oh, and make sure there are no steel parts attached to what you are anodizing. Thread inserts, backers, screws, anything like that. Anodizing and steel don't mix.

Edited by Chuck Anderson