Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case gauge fail! 135 Gr Bayou

Red Ryder

Red, Did not realise you were using a case pro. So all the problems start once the projectile is in the case?

Check flare, ensure that it is not too much, if too much flare is on the case when you seat the crimp die may not remove it all properly and the case can bulge out a little just (.060" or so) behind the case mouth. Also with too much flare the projectile may go into the case slightly off line and the std bullet seating die will not fully straighten the projectile it will essentially load an oval round. One part of the oval is going to be slightly larger than the chamber or gauge will allow.

I notice a small improvement with runout with my 38Super when I installed a MR Bulletfeeder. I then installed their two step powder funnel into the Dillon Powder Die, that essentially sat the bullet onto the case almost perfectly vertical when the case indexed to the next station it does not tip even slightly, which it did with the Dillon Powder Funnel. If you are seating you projectile off centre slightly Now I have also added the Redding Competition Seating die and the runout and OAL variances are now essentially negligible. There was a slight improvement in accuracy with each stage. But once all three added together it made an old barrel new again. So in my original loads there was some margin for improvement.