Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Data for Bullseye or Red Dot Powder

ZackJones

Note: I've already looked through the .40 S&W section under reloading so don't tell me to go look there :)

I want to work up some loads for my son's Para P 16-40. I have 180g plated bullets from Lucky 13 (new vendor here on Enos and great guys). I currently have BullsEye and Red Dot powders available for loading. If you've loaded either of these powders in the past would you mind sharing your load information. Also even though I may not be able to find it right now recommendations for other powders would be appreciated. When I shot limited years ago I shot with N320 which we all know is virtually impossible to find now. I've been reading good things about e3 so I'm going to try and find some of that powder locally and give it a try.

I'll be working up a load for USPSA major power factor as he's planning to shoot limited when he gets back from Afghanistan. I don't know if it makes any difference or not but his P 16 has an Ed Brown bull barrel installed in it. Also I understand all standard disclaimers apply - verify load data, use chronograph, etc :). Thanks in advance for your feedback.

First, Please thank your son for his service. Mine got out after two tours to AFG.

The majority of my Major loads for 40 have been with WIN 231 of late. Let me know if you are interested in those.

I dug out some old data I used for some Red Dot loads back in the 90's and early 00's.

From the Reloader's Guide for Alliant Powders published in 1996 (MAX LOAD)

RED DOT 5.0 grains should produce 980 fps with 34K psi

Bullseye 5.5 grains should produce 1,015 with 33.9K psi

These loads came from a 180 JHP line at 1.125 Min OAL

Note: All standard disclosures apply start 10% lower and work your way up.

I found some notes from 1999 where a 4.6 grain load was running 1020 on a 10 round average out of my P16 with the stock barrell. Start at 4.5 and work your way up. Major is less now then it was then so you might even find 4.2 will make major. My P16 likes a shorter OAL then the SVI I run as a primary gun now. No idea where yours will run.

One last thing. If you want the entire page out the reliant book, Toss me a PM with your email address and I will scan it and email it too you.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Retread