Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being reminded of the good old days

paraman1

I received a call from a friend of mine the other day asking if I could come over and help him sort through a couple boxes of reloading stuff his Dad had given him . He really just wanted to see if he had enough stuff there to reload or just a bunch of garbage . First up was a brand new in the box Redding beam scale from the late 50's early 60's . The box was mint and it had sold for the princely sum of 14 dollars according to the price tag still affixed to one end of the box . It had the instructions , warranty card and everything still inside the box and the outside was just 50's-60's cool . Next up was an Ohaus 5-0-5 beam scale from probably the same era . It still had its original box , albeit a little worse for wear , and looked like it had seen very little use . I showed him how to set it up and zero the scale . Last up was a RCBS JR2 press which again had been stored in its original box with all its pieces and other than a little surface rust on the ram was in mint condition with a special bonus being a set of dies and shell plate for reloading .308 (a caliber my buddy owns 3 rifles in).

I sat there looking at the simplicity of these items and remembering my journey as a firearms enthusiast . I shot my first season of USPSA loading ammo on pretty much the exact same press shooting a pistol that wouldn't get so much as a second glance at a match today out of an old Safariland pin gun holster I had cut down and added a piece of bent sheet metal to in order to keep my pistol from falling out of it .

Fast forward to today where we need Dillon 1050's , digital scales that measure 6 decimal places out and handguns that cost more than our first car did matched to holsters and ammo carrying devices that rival anything seen in Star Wars and made from pure unobtanium . It was just kind of cool seeing someone excited about something as simple as a single stage press and a beam scale .