Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long range

DDustin

Well in the Army I used to shoot expert out to 300meters with irons. Since then I haven't been able to shoot past 100yrds until getting more into major matches this year. After 6 years of that I can't seem to really hit anything with any real consistency, at least not like I used to and I'm using optics now.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to figure out, memorize, and utilize holdovers? I love long range shooting, it's by far my favorite but it's a mood killer to suck at it at a match. Also even then I sucked at range estimation which is a big part of my problem. Any tips to get better at that?

Thanks a lot

Edited by DDustin

My scope is a moa scope. I chronod my rounds and plugged bullet info and velocity info into a ballistics calculator. I use Ballistic for iphone but there are several out there. I looked up the moa drop info for each dot on my burris mtac and was able to figure out the holdovers. Once you know where each dot is going it makes things much, much easier. I believe your vortex is a mil scope but the idea is the same. You have to know how fast your particular bullet is flying out of your gun and then plug that info into a calculator. Then go out and shoot it to verify what the calculator says and to give you peace of mind about where your rounds are going. As far as ranging targets, to be honest with you, my shooting partners have rangefinders and I rely on them at matches until I get my own. When you walk stages rest assured somebody has one and you will be able to get the ranges for long distance targets.