Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Power Pro varmit anyone use it?

Alaskapopo

I use it, purchased 16 lbs!!! My pet load is 25.4 gr under a 55gr this load works well for 3-gun. It shoot great out to 200 yards (Furthest I've shot with it), it cycles all my AR's flawlessly, and pleasant recoil! This load is about 1 gr under Hornadys max load. I have no idea what fastshooter3 is talking about too slow, huh what does that mean. You don't need max velocity for 3-gun but you need good shooting. As a point of reference the POI at 100 yards in the same with this load as it is with 25gr H335 at 100 yards. I still have a bunch of 223 I loaded up with H335 and I can use the 2 loads interchangeably, that's one of the reasons I chose 25.4 gr Varmint.

YMMV

Edited by mjmagee67

• 2 weeks later...

Alliant's website said 24.7 gns w 55 vmax so I tried 25.0.

Hornady is probably closer to what max should be at 26.5 gns

You can have the greatest shooting ammo in the world at 100-200 yds but if it drops like a rock and gets pushed by wind like 22lr after 200 then there's no reason to use it if you have other ammo that uses less powder with way more velocity and will outshoot the best load in the world past 200yds.

When you shoot past 200 yds like most big 3-gun matchs or Varmit hunting(PPro Varmit....), trajectory means a lot.

I do like PPro 2000 which I use for 70-80 grain bullets and requires a few more grains than most others to get the velocity up there because my guess is it is slightly slower burning.

Nick