Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone loading 22-250 on the xl650

Most any relatively standard configuration die should be fine. May need to do the pause on the down stroke to allow complete powder drop. Depending on what firearm you are loading for and your source of brass you may be able to use a neck-sizing die like the Lee collet and save lots of effort in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

The die set has to be for a progressive press (like your 650). It's a bummer because Redding makes such beautiful dies for this caliber. When I am going for perfection (and never achieve it), I use a Redding T7 press and make 20 cartridges at a time. You can use Dillion's dies, although they don't have them on their website, I could swear they made the carbide set at one time. If not, I guess any other brand will work fine. Get the carbide, if available, regardless it will be a MUST to lube the cases. Then once dialed in, just take it slow, and remember this isn't 9mm where you knock down the 4 million rounds per hour. Because it's a straight walled case, you have to take it easy when lining up the bullet for seating. As an aside, check into the Hornady bullet seating depth tool (used to be Stoney Point). This tool will help you build a round that will chamber properly for your gun. I bought a Winchester Model 70 about 17 yrs ago for a couple reasons: 1. I like target shooting 2. I like the 22-250 round and 3. and most importantly, I was able to order another die set to add to my collection, and name one reloader who doesn't want another set on the shelf. And don't forget, it's fun to use the seating tool from Hornady. Since it is near the holidays, you quietly buy the gun you like (and a caliber you do not own), then when someone special wants to know what you'd like as a gift it will be easy. And tell them to get you the conversion kit while they're at it. :)