Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HD Shotgun Choice

Smitty79

I'm going through the same debate (well, was-- I figured it out) and stumbled on this thread by happenstance.

Big +1 on semi vs. pump for HD... or anything. I'm actually in the process of switching over from pump to auto. Yes, when a pump jams, it's the fault of the stressed operator and not the gun, but that doesn't change the fact that when a shotgun jams on a short stroke, it doesn't clear like a pistol than can simply be racked back into operation-- that jammed pump becomes a bat at best. Modern QUALITY semi's are more reliable no matter the stress level of the operator, IMHO.

Regarding barrel length, somebody else hit it on the head when they said to experiment within your own confines. I currently have an 18" pump that I'll be selling pretty soon. I ran a couple simulations down my hallway (the only real tight spot in my house) with the current 18" and decided that an extra 3" wouldn't make a bit of difference when pieing corners, so I'm going for a 21" M2 with a +5 extension (for 8 total, just like my 1911 that I can round count in my subconscious). I'm guessing that a 24" would be fine in my hallway too, but it would be a little too tight for my comfort. YMMV.

Finally, bear in mind that you can go to the Benelli website and purchase an extra 18" M2 barrel for $400... about the price of a 2nd pump shotgun. And they're not hard to swap. Just sayin'.

My choice: I'm buying a Benelli 21" M2 eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later) and planning to sell my current pump since I'll put all my trigger time into the semi auto after that point. I'll then take the funds from the pump sale and possibly purchase a 2nd barrel more suited to trap and bird hunting. This way I will have one shotgun that I'll know like the back of mind and can use in a variety of situations.

Good points . Check out europtic for a an m2 , great guys to deal with. That's where i snagged mine . 21" field