Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Night vision surveillance video camera

I'm looking into installing the subject line in my carport. I can (ac) hard wire it in. I'd need to be able so see the video on a Mac, and motion-activated would be good.

And it probably should be waterproof too. It will be under the edge of the roof, but could definitely take some rain in the wind.

There are sooo many choices out there. Anyone have any personal experience with them?

The Swann 1080p IP cams from Costco are the best bang for the buck right now.

http://www.costco.com/Swann-1080p-2-Pack-HD-NVR-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100039914.html

There are rebranded HikVision cameras. (HikVision is the largest manufacturer of surveillance cameras in the word). This is the HikVision branded version: http://nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-ip-cameras/hikvision-ds-2cd2032-i-outdoor-hd-3mp-ip-bullet-security-camera-4mm.html

Be aware that video motion detection on board most cameras pretty much sucks... Be prepared for a lot of false positives.

The best solution to eliminate false positives is to use an external PIR (passive infrared) sensor, but then you need a much more expensive camera that has alarm inputs (the Swanns do not).

You can also run "NVR" software such as Blue Iris (PC) or ZoneMinder (Linux) that does more sophisticated "object detection" instead of the dumb "pixel count" that most cameras run. High end cameras such as some Axis and Mobotix also run object detection type motion detection, but they also have alarm inputs so I would just use a PIR.

You can also buy cameras with built in PIR sensors, but those are usually indoor only models.

Another issue you will have is that "nightvision" cameras use infrared LEDs to illuminate the area if you don't have another light source. The issue with this is that they attract bugs, so you get false positives all night from bugs trying to mate with your camera. The bugs also attract spiders, so you end up with a brightly lit spider web right in front of the lens.

I have a high end Vivotek plus a PIR on my driveway for email alerts with zero false positives. I have Blue Iris monitoring the rest of my cams. They have a few false positives, but I don't have them emailed to me, so it's not a problem.

When I was using video motion detection to email alerts to me, it was a "the boy who cried wolf" situation where I would just delete the alerts and not look at them because of all the false positives.

If you go into more detail about exactly what you want to accomplish I might be able to give better recommendations... I recently did tons of research and tried out several different cameras.

Thanks for all the details!

I definitely do not want email alerts.

Where I live there is a LOT of foot traffic, at all times of the night. "Minor" thieves, just wandering around, looking for something to jack.

There is a spot on my carport where I could mount a camera that would cover the carport, my front porch, and the gate to my side / back yard.

So my purpose for the camera - if something turns up missing or f*#ked with, I review the camera for pics. I know a LOT of people in my neighborhood - someone will most likely know or recognize the perp.

The Swann/HikVision cams I like require external storage (a computer on your network)... It sounds like you want something with on board storage (usualy an SD Card).

Logitech makes a nice system with on-board storage which can also automatically upload to Logitech servers on the internet (nice if the perp steals the camera). It is kind of like Apple products though in that it offers a poor price/performance ratio and doesn't have many options or features. You have to use it the way they intended, but it is fairly easy to use without much research/training.

I steered my father to the Logitech cameras because I didn't want to have to be tech support for him. He knows next to nothing about computers or networking and had it up and running in an hour or so.

They bundle it with a HomePlug (ethernet over your home power wiring) adaptor so you don't have to run an ethernet cable out to the camera. The difference between the "Master" and "Addon" is that the "Master" kit has both ends of the HomePlug link. The "Addon" only has the camera end. You can also run them using plain PoE (power over ethernet) and not bother with HomePlug if you run CAT5 all the way to the camera.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/alert750e-outdoor-master-system?crid=700

The Swann/HikVision cams I like require external storage (a computer on your network)... It sounds like you want something with on board storage (usualy an SD Card).

Actually, I think I'd like the camera to connect to my WIFI network.

Thanks again for all the details.

I bought a FOSCAM brand camera from Home Depot (online) a couple of months back. Outdoor, infrared, wired or wireless network, POE or 5vdc ac adapter power. Blue Iris software package.

I've been fiddling with it. No permament mount yet. Good video day and night. Blue Iris software looks decent. The camera's wireless connection work well from the backyard and from the driveway area out an upstairs window.

I'll get it mounted soon. I'll post an update.

Logitech makes a nice system with on-board storage which can also automatically upload to Logitech servers on the internet (nice if the perp steals the camera). It is kind of like Apple products though in that it offers a poor price/performance ratio and doesn't have many options or features. You have to use it the way they intended, but it is fairly easy to use without much research/training.

I steered my father to the Logitech cameras because I didn't want to have to be tech support for him. He knows next to nothing about computers or networking and had it up and running in an hour or so.

They bundle it with a HomePlug (ethernet over your home power wiring) adaptor so you don't have to run an ethernet cable out to the camera. The difference between the "Master" and "Addon" is that the "Master" kit has both ends of the HomePlug link. The "Addon" only has the camera end. You can also run them using plain PoE (power over ethernet) and not bother with HomePlug if you run CAT5 all the way to the camera.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/alert750e-outdoor-master-system?crid=700

The bummer on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Outdoor-Master-Security-961-000337/dp/B003X26LXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379368740&sr=8-1&keywords=Logitech+Alert™+750e+Outdoor+Master+System

... Requires a Windows based PC for configuration. (I'm Mac only.)

According to Logitech, they support Macs now. The Amazon info is probably outdated.

This link is at the bottom of the Logitech page I linked:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alert-commander/id545721825?mt=12&WT.ac=ps|10554

I have a FosCam too. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not HD. If you get a 640x480 cam, don't ever get a HD cam because then you won't be happy at all with the the low res one :)