Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand grip question

Nimitz

Since I'm sure most folks are not regularily reading my range diary ... :) I figured I copy part of a recent post from there related to a weak hand grip question I have ....

"Well I'm still struggling a bit with my weak hand grip. When I get it right I can shoot alphas all day long at 25 yds with splits around .4 secs. Unfortunately I'm still not consistently able to do this with predictable results. After yesterday's training session I've begun to wonder if I may have the basic grip wrong ...

Currently I grip the gun with my weak hand by having the meat of the palm of the hand against the left side of the grip. That much I know is correct. But in addition to squeezing with my weak hand fingers I'm also trying to press against the left gun handle side plate. This is the part I'm not sure is correct since if I'm pushing against the left side with my left palm then I'd also need to push against the right side with my strong hand to balance things out. Since the palm of my right hand is mostly around the blackstrap there really isn't anything to balance what I'm doing with my weak hand palm.

So, should I really be pressing hard against the left side of the gun handle with my weak hand palm? Or should the majority of the pressure from my weak hand be from squeezing with my weak hand fingers?"

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to know this too. I'm trying to undo old training scars and I think it's best to iron out the details before committing yet another bad habit to muscle memory. The balance between WH and SH is something I'm trying hard to figure out.