Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet sticking in Redding Seating Die

Jeff Matzka

Anyone else have this problem? I'm loading .308 on a single-stage press with Redding standard dies. Nosler 150gr. Ballistic Tip bullet over 47.0 gr.of Varget(a compressed load). Winchester once-fired, neck sized brass. Attempting to seat to 2.810, but when I pull the handle back up, the bullet pulls out a bit - winds up around 2.830 - 2.850, and you can see an indented ring where the ogive made contact with the seating plug, and slight abrasion around the base portion of the bullet where it had been deeper in the case before the die pulled it back out.

What the.....? In my 19 years of reloading, I've never had this happen.

Could the compressed load be pushing it out? My 9MAJOR loads would grow when I was loading a compressed load.

I guess that's possible. If not the sole cause, maybe just not helping matters. I hear an audible "tick" when the die lets go...at least, that's what I think is happening.

Is it a competition die? Redding competition dies are manufactured to the exact caliber size, so the ring you see on the ogive would be where the bullet reaches the .308 diameter. If the bullet diameter is slightly larger and this is a compressed load, you may be sqeezing the bullet up into the seating plug where it's getting stuck until the drag on the case pulls it back out. Just a thought...

Is it a competition die? Redding competition dies are manufactured to the exact caliber size, so the ring you see on the ogive would be where the bullet reaches the .308 diameter. If the bullet diameter is slightly larger and this is a compressed load, you may be sqeezing the bullet up into the seating plug where it's getting stuck until the drag on the case pulls it back out. Just a thought...

No, it's one of their standard dies. But what you say certainly makes sense. It's only compressing a little bit - it seems, but I guess it's compressing just enough to cause the bullet seater plug to dig in. I can't load it any longer and have it reliably feed in the rifle's magazine, so I guess I'm going to have to back off powder a wee bit. I'm heading to the range today to chrono/group these loads. Hopefully I'll have enough speed to where I can spare a little bit.