Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any thoughts on the Criterion 16" Ultralight rifle-gas 308 barrel?

michael1778

Don't mean to be too chatty lately, but I've mentioned recently that I'm thinking about building (or having someone build me) a 308 AR. One of the key components would be the barrel.

I have been looking for a while at the Criterion 16" ultralight profile barrel with rifle length gas at Fulton Armory. The dwell time doesn't bother me as much as the worry about overheating during a 3-gun stage. I'd have this rifle primarily as a Heavy Metal gun, mostly with optics.

Searches around many places haven't shown me any concrete feedback on the barrel. Anybody here have any first or second hand experience with this barrel?

Link provided for informational purposes: http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185lwcm1x10750gasblockchrome-lined-1.aspx

I'd rather you *not* buy them up before I get mine ;-)

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

Edited by michael1778

I recently finished building an upper with a heavy 18" Criterion. Haven't done much testing with it yet, but did run my Hornady 75gr bthp load through it. 10 shots was about .9" at 100 yards, which is a touch better than my 18" Noveske, though I didn't calculate a mean radius. I'd expect their other offerings to be capable of just as much accuracy.

Thank you. Given the strong reviews of Criterion by so many top-end shooters and other enthusiasts, I don't worry about cold barrel accuracy on this. It's a .625" outer diameter all along its length so I'm worried about it overheating very quickly and then starting to drift around on accuracy. I'm hoping that someone has used this barrel before or at least "knows a guy" who has and can say more about those experiences.

I just bought a different Criterion barrel in 223 with the idea of a new 223 upper. Should be here soon.

You might try contacting Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports, he is on the forums here as well. I have seen on here where he has recommended these barrels, uses them in their builds and I believe if I'm not mistaken runs one in his personal HM rifle. He builds nice kit and has a ton of knowledge.

You might try contacting Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports, he is on the forums here as well. I have seen on here where he has recommended these barrels, uses them in their builds and I believe if I'm not mistaken runs one in his personal HM rifle. He builds nice kit and has a ton of knowledge.

Since I didn't know if I would seek his services on an actual build I was hesitant to impose on his time. He's a fine guy from what I know second hand, but he also has to make a living. I don't want to accidentally be a leech. Maybe I'm being too careful? I don't know.

Benny's advocacy of Criterion barrels is the main reason I was seeking them when considering barrels for my proposed 308 AR build. He has widespread respect in the community. Consensus seems to be that Criterion barrels, in general, are excellent. Overheating on a 3-gun stage was my concern. I'm guessing it won't be a serious issue, but figured I'd ask in case anyone had run a thin barrel like this in their own 308 gun.