Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

drill and tapping barrel question

midget

I don't know and have not done the math so you can guess where my answer was pulled from .. that said I would personally feel ok with .100 left and a 6-40 screw. But that would be on my gun not some one else's.

If you do the math, the diameter of the screw hole will be directly proportional to how thick the wall must be for a given deflection so usethe smallest screw in the shallowest hole that will hold your scope. You only need a few threads so a 40 pitch screw can work in surprisingly shallow holes.

I don't know and have not done the math so you can guess where my answer was pulled from .. that said I would personally feel ok with .100 left and a 6-40 screw. But that would be on my gun not some one else's.

If you do the math, the diameter of the screw hole will be directly proportional to how thick the wall must be for a given deflection so usethe smallest screw in the shallowest hole that will hold your scope. You only need a few threads so a 40 pitch screw can work in surprisingly shallow holes.

Thank you... without knowing exactly what Rossi uses for their barrel's steel, I couldn't do much of a calculation on it either. I was planning on leaving .1" (wall is .190" thick), but wanted to know if I could go deeper. I think I will do 4x6-40 screws as well as epoxy.

The standard scope mount screw is #6-48. You can safely go to .06. Even if you drill through to the barrel you're still OK, the screw will hold the pressure and it won't hurt the barrel any. Just the screw will hold the pressure. Everyone has a heart attack over that but think of all the barrels that have ports and popple holes.

If you drill into the chamber you DO have a problem because the brass will go into the hole and not extract.

Thank you very much!

Have you checked with XS sight systems to see if they have a scout mount that uses the rear sight dove tail rather than drilling the barrel? I use one of their mounts on my Winchester and it's great.

Chris

Thank you very much!

Have you checked with XS sight systems to see if they have a scout mount that uses the rear sight dove tail rather than drilling the barrel? I use one of their mounts on my Winchester and it's great.

Chris

I did look into them. They are incompatible with the octagon barrel. As far as I can tell, my only option with the top eject rifle is to mount it forward of the receiver or offset to the left...