Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

practicing and competing with red dot sight and iron sights

Porsche320

I'm a relatively new shooter with roughly a year of experience. I shoot a combination of iron sights and c-more (just started using an open gun), and i'm curious if others have found going back-and-forth to be a benefit or detriment. What if I were to switch to predominantly c-more, would training with iron sights be a waste of time? Specifically, I'd like to get an airsoft gun for supplemental training, and an iron sight gun is much more affordable than an open gun. My training time is very limited, and range time even more so, so it is critical that the time spent is effective.

Any insight is appreciated. I see a few guys shooting both, but they are much better shooters than I am. It is tough to tell if they are better 'because of' or 'in spite of' going back-and-forth.

I've been shooting both for six years, and see no benefit to going back and forth.

I usually shoot OPEN with a C-More and when I go back to iron sights it takes

a serious effort and a few hours of practice (no problem going back to the dot).

There is a great benefit (in my case, anyways) to shooting OPEN - my times have

really improved with my limited gun due to all the training / practice / learning in

OPEN - that did help me, but not the sights - what improved was my speed.

:cheers:

ive talked to a few GM's about this.

it seems that alot of it depends on how you present the gun.

- some of us will simply bring the gun up to where the index is burned in.

- others will press the gun out and catch the sight on the way up.

it seems that if you press and catch, its easier to switch back and forth.

I bring it up to where the index is burned in and after a while just decided that i'm over thinking it so started shooting practice days going from limited to open and back, all day long. Seems to help as well.