Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hp-38 for 147gr plated

ellukay

Hi all!

Brand new to the forum and also to reloading. I just received my Dillon 550b and am getting it set up for 9mm. I've got 4000 RMR 147gr plated bullets and a couple of pounds of HP-38, and am looking for loading recipes. It doesn't look like the hp 38 is recommended for147 gr bullets but I get conflicting opinions from the forums. Is this powder ok to use or should I just look for some vv340/vv320 or another slower burning powder? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

I use HP-38 with 147gr moly coated bullets. Dont use it with cast lead, it will be too smoky. HP38 is the same as W231 (winchester).

CZ75 Shadow/SP01

HP38 3.2gr

147gr BBi

1.090-1.100

128PF

It is the same powder i used for my limited major load.

For some plated, they say use the same charge as molys. But you can bump 0.1-0.2 if you want. I would advise you to start at the lowest charge published then work your way up. Its the general rule of thumb. If you let us know what kind of gun you have, youll get more response.

I love the results that I've had with HP-38, but I'm not a fan of 147 Gr. slugs. I stick to the lighter ones, using 125, 115, and even down to 95 and 90 Gr bullets, mostly plated. I wouldn't hesitate to use this powder with anything within reason.