Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Daily dryfire practice

Pierruiggi

Hi everyone!

Lately I developed a new dryfire regimen since I felt the one I was using was less than organized. Since for economic reasons I can't do a lot of live fire drills, I try to keep my dryfire practice as comprehensive as posible. One thing I'm worried about is that I've read on some places that dryfiring for more that 20 or 30 minutes in a row can be detrimental; and this takes about 50 minutes to an hour and a little from start to finish (of each part, both parts combined woul be about 2 hours or a little more). Notice that I also don't own a timer, so baseline and par time drills are out of the question for now.

Please, critisize it, make suggestions or share what you think of it.

Thanks!

Oh! and I promise when I get hold of a little cash I'll buy both Steve Anderson's and BE's books!

The practices are on a daily basis, except for saturdays.

Part one (I tipically do this around 3pm or 4pm)

10 trigger presses in slow motion (aiming at a target)

10 trigger presses at normal speed (aiming at a target)

10 presentations from "high ready" in slow motion w/o pressing the trigger

10 presentations from "high ready" in slow motion pressing the trigger

10 presentations from "high ready" at normal speed w/o pressing the trigger

10 presentations from "high ready" at normal speed pressing the trigger

10 draws (hands at sides) in slow motion w/o pressing the trigger

10 draws (hands at sides) in slow motion pressing the trigger

10 draws (hands at sides) at normal speed w/o pressing the trigger

10 draws (hands at sides) at normal speed pressing the trigger

10 draws (hands at sides) at WARP speed w/o pressing the trigger

10 draws (hands at sides) at WARP speed pressing the trigger

10 incomplete reloads from mag pouch 1 (dryfiring before the reload) in slow motion

10 incomplete reloads from mag pouch 1 (dryfiring before the reload) at normal speed

10 incomplete reloads from mag pouch 1 (dryfiring before the reload) at WARP speed

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 1 (dryfiring before the reload) in slow motion

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 1 (dryfiring before the reload) at normal speed

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 1 (dryfiring before the reload) at WARP speed

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 1 (dryfiring after the reload) in slow motion

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 1 (dryfiring after the reload) at normal speed

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 1 (dryfiring after the reload) at WARP speed

Part two (I practice this around 11pm)

10 draws (hands at sides) at normal speed w/o pressing the trigger

10 incomplete reloads from mag pouch 2 (dryfiring before the reload) in slow motion

10 incomplete reloads from mag pouch 2 (dryfiring before the reload) at normal speed

10 incomplete reloads from mag pouch 2 (dryfiring before the reload) at WARP speed

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 2 (dryfiring before the reload) in slow motion

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 2 (dryfiring before the reload) at normal speed

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 2 (dryfiring before the reload) at WARP speed

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 2 (dryfiring after the reload) in slow motion

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 2 (dryfiring after the reload) at normal speed

10 complete reloads from mag pouch 2 (dryfiring after the reload) at WARP speed

10 draws strong hand at normal speed w/o pressing the trigger

10 draws strong hand at normal speed pressing the trigger

10 draws weak hand at normal speed w/o pressing the trigger

10 draws weak hand at normal speed pressing the trigger

10 target switches (left to right) in slow motion pressing the trigger on the first target

10 target switches (left to right) at normal speed pressing the trigger on the first target

10 target switches (left to right) in slow motion pressing the trigger on the second target

10 target switches (left to right) at noraml speed pressing the trigger on the second target

10 target switches (right to left) in slow motion pressing the trigger on the first target

10 target switches (right to left) at normal speed pressing the trigger on the first target

10 target switches (right to left) in slow motion pressing the trigger on the second target

10 target switches (right to left) at normal speed pressing the trigger on the second target

10 trigger presses at normal speed (aiming at a target)

NOTES:

1. Whenever I say I do something in slow motion, I focus (mentally) in the "feel" of what I am doing through the entire range of motion, I ask myself questions such as "does this feel natural or comfortable?" "why not?" "would I economize some movement by doing this or that?" "is my body (including my eyes) in tension?" "how can I alleviate that?"

As a second priority, I train the muscles in my eyes that control the distance focus, for example; as I start a draw, I am looking at a specific point in the target, seeing it in a crisp, sharp manner, like when you are reading something; when my arms move, I begin to change the focus more towards me, I think of my focus distance as if it were an object travelling towards or away from me in a straight line, not unlike a target in those indoor ranges where you mechanically bring the target to you to review it and away from you to shoot it; so, this way, when the gun enters my peripheral view, it is already in focus. All this while, I've continued to keep my aim, meaning the point where my pupils are nailed, in the spot I picked earlier in the target when it was in focus.

2. When I say I do things at normal speed, I'm talking about my comfort zone. The speed at which I can do the motions as technically correct (or precise) as in slow motion, but faster. This is the balance between correct motion and speed, without sloppyness. This is my smooth zone.

In this state, I concentrate more on the visual aspect, and keep in second place the "feeling" aspect.

3. At WARP speed (i recognize I blatantly stole this term from this very forum), I try to "extend" my comfort zone, to the point where I have trouble being smooth, and once in a while I become a little sloppy, gripping incorrectly, missing the magazine well, etc.

At this speed, my primary mental focus goes to properly coordinate my muscles to work in the right sequence to perform a given activity, like drawing, present the gun, etc. The "feeling" aspect gets reviewed once the activity has ended. For example, I draw and dryfire a called shot, only then I freeze in place and "feel" everithing from a tactile point of view. That means "Well, I drew and fire a shot, it hit the target where I wanted to. Fine. Now, how am I standing? Where are my hands on the gun? If I had to fire another shot, could I do it based on my stance and grip?"

Doing things at WARP speed allows me to later do the same things in my normal speed faster.

4. I consider a "high ready" pistol position to be where you have the gun in a semi firing grip (since it subtly changes when you extend your arms) close to your chest, about shoulder high where it naturally points a little high. I got this concept from Jerry Barnhart site, but since I unfortunately never saw him do this, I might have misenterpreted his words and in consequence, I could be doing this wrong/different.

5. In reloads, I refer to an incomplete reload when I begin the repetition aiming at a target, dryfire and begin the magazine change motions, the repetition ends when the magazine is "at the gates" of the magazine well of the gun. I got this from Steve Anderson. A complete reload is when I do the above, but insert the magazine completely and reaquire the target. I vary things a bit by dryfiring before or after the reload.

6. When I say draw weak handed, I mean drawing with my strong arm, and where the arms would normally meet in a tow handed grip, I transfer the pistol to my weak hand. The safety (thumb) gets removed by my strong hand before the transfer begins.

Pierruiggi, I think it's great you spend do much time dry firing. It's a great skillbuilder.

What I like about the way you practice is the way you analize things. I think the will to analyze and improve is what makes one dangerously competitive.

A few things I noticed:

You do everything from a standing position and there's no movement involved. One of the big time savers in IPSC is being able to let your first shot go as soon as you get into the new position. You could practice moving into and out of positions.

Also, sometimes you could practice all the things you do from a low kneeling position, a prone position or other position (for instance, pick a position from your last match that you felt uncomforable in)

Second, your schedule seems a bit rigid. You do this 10x, then that 10x. But what if you're really good at one thing and not very good at something else? Will you give them the same amount of attention?

Also, vary a lot. Especially since you do this 6x a week. If you do target transitions, place the targets in different places from day to day or week to week. Be creative. Come up with new things now and then. You do not want to become the master in your own dry fire drill. You want to win matches, right? Practice in a way that you'll be able to handle anything they throw at you in a match.

And last (for now ;)), practice things that you need. I used to practice the weak hand draw too. In fact I practiced it every day for over a year. I still have to shoot the first IPSC match where I have to do a weak hand draw. Most of the weak hand stages have weak hand table pickups. So...that's what I practice now, instead.

You certainly have the will to win. And, if you practice dry fire for two hours a day, and visit these forums now and then, you will become a better shooter. Keep it up! Good luck!

Björn

Thanks spook!

I haven't noticed there isn't any movement in my practice. Could you give me some pointers or tips about it?

The reason it is rigid is because like I said, I am training myself to be more regular and consistent about certain aspects of my life (dryfiring is one of them). My last dryfire routine was a mess... I rushed things, I practiced certain things and never some others, I didn't analize things; for example, I would "practice" draws while thinking what I would be eating in the afternoon... Not a very efficient way to practice is it? :rolleyes:

I do focus on my weaknesses, for example, I do a lot of reps of reloads since that used to be one of my weak points. I started this regimen a short while ago, and the theory is this "detect your weaknesses in live fire to correct them in dryfire if applicable". So later the rutine will change to adapt to my shooting skills.

Pierruiggi,

I agree with Spook, Allow more practice for the Skills that you are uncomfortable with! From my Martial Arts expierance I observed that students only wanted to practice what the were already good at, Leaving them weak on certain skills that would leave them vunerable! By the amount of DFP you are doing shouldn't be long before you make GM :D PS get a timer!

Ivan

I haven't noticed there isn't any movement in my practice. Could you give me some pointers or tips about it?

Sure.

You could place two targets about 3 meters away from eachother and make sure you can only "see" each target from around a post or a stick or something. Now move to one of the positions and acquire the target as fast and good as possible.

Move to the next position and do the same, and back, etc.

Or place one of your dry fire targets under a table and one of the above the table and see in which ways you can acquire them.

Stuff like that. The options are infinite. The cool thing about that is that dry fire never has to be boring. You can always come up with new things.

I would personally choose excersises that simulate things you have seen at matches. Things you know you'll do again someday at a match.

---

My last dryfire routine was a mess... I rushed things, I practiced certain things and never some others, I didn't analize things; for example, I would "practice" draws while thinking what I would be eating in the afternoon... Not a very efficient way to practice is it?

Well, I know what you mean. I have done that a lot myself. The problem I had with that, was that I would dry fire a lot, and then go to the range and I wouldn't know what to do. I messed everything up on the range, because I had a sloppy attitude at home dry firing, and a focusses attitude at the range. Try to dry fire with the intensity of firing live ammo. Your dry fire is there to get better at live fire. Your dry fire is not to become better at dry fire :)

I agree with Ivan. If you keep doing this for even one hour a day consistently for the next 2 years, we'll probably see you at the World Shoot someday smoking a couple of stages ;)

Also, one book I can really recommend is Perfect Practice by Saul Kirsch. It has all the things in it to help a beginning shooter learn good technique and it will drastically shorten your learning curve (it also has great drills you can do in dry fire). I would personally forget about buying a timer right now (I think you probably have one at the club, right). I think books and perhaps DVD's are more valuable to you at this moment.

Ok, I'll add some movement to my practice then! I also thought about practicing the some of the reloads while moving from one place to another.

And yes, yes. We do have a time at the club to practice live fire and matches of course. I meant a timer for myself. :D

Omar,

here on the forums we have at least two well-renowned authorities when it comes to dryfiring.

Spook won the European Championship title in Revolver Division by a great margin, due to its steady dry-fire regimen. So better listen carefully to his words. ;)

Steve Anderson, who qualified as GM less than a year after he bought his first Open gun, coming from Production.

Steve wrote a comprehensive book on dryfiring techniques and drills, I suggest you might buy it (have a look here.

But I acknowledge great tips and drills for dryfiring come from Matt Burkett and Saul Kirsch too, so have also a look at Matt's website and Saul's website.

Your dry fire routine looks like a great place to start! One problem many people have when dry firing is a lack of direction, which means that they spend a few minutes dinking around on things they like to do, get bored, then quit for the day.

It is vitally important that we spend time on things we can't do well and turn them into strengths. Your plan seems to do that.

I would urge you to think very carefully about what happens in a stage, then design more drills around those elements.

For example, at the 2004 nationals we had maybe three stages out of 24 that allowed a normal draw to a target you could see without moving. That does not mean you shouldn't do a lot of draws in practice, but it does mean that you should not restrict your idea of dry fire to normal, standing draws.

Good luck with your dry firing, it will get you there.

SA

People designing matches back here love empty gun starts. So most of my dry fire routing starts with the gun empty (in various empty conditions; no mag, with mag, in table, inside drawer, in holster, mag beside gun, mag in pouch, etc.)

They also like to start you with your heels or toes together or sitting down. Then make you run to a position before you can actually see targets. So I practice that, too.

;)