Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Green book head scratchers: 8.1

kevin c

I certainly appreciate the sentiment of going the extra mile for newbies at low level matches or during training sessions, however it's essential to explain to the newbie that he won't get a mulligan at a more important match.

I've seen way too many guys screw up or get pinged at important matches, and they cry "But, at my home club ....... ".

And we explain that as well --- and wean new shooters off the coaching as quickly as their progression along the ability curve allows. Coming into USPSA from IDPA, 30 + round stages with four or five positions and sometimes targets between positions really threw me for a loop during my first match or two. I got a little help from the folks who were R.O.ing me in my first two club matches --- but that help was long gone six weeks later when I shot my first sectional match.....

I think the point that Jim was trying to make is that different people learn the game at different paces --- and at any given club match, you help the newbies as much as they need it, while attempting to teach them to plan and run on their own.....

Ourt club tends to be both easier and harder. A habit, held over from the old days, when an RO sees a new shooter muff it at LAMR: "Are you ready?" nod "Are you sure?" If they new guy is smart enough to take the hint, he says no, then checks his gear. If someone complains that the new guy "got an advantage" the reaction is predictable: "Did we do it for you?" and "If you're worried that this guy, on his first IPSC match, is going to beat you, you should practice some more."

If the new guys say "Yes" after are you sure, then start the timer.

Once someone has been to a few matches, then they don't get the "Are you sure" assist.

IPSC can be intimidating enough without laughing at the newbies mistake.