Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt XSE™ 1911 Sights: Which Way Out?

cohland

My shiny new Colt XSE "Government Model" 1911 came with Novak Low Mount Carry Sights (http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtXSESeries.aspx).

The first exercise at the range with the gun, shooting from a rest, revealed that the sights are off (to the right, about 2" at 15 yards) and that was confirmed by measuring the sight fit in the rear dovetail and seeing that it is about .75mm too far in on the left side. The front sight is perfectly centered.

I measured the dovetail opening at the bottom on both sides, and I get 13mm on the left and about 12.5mm on the right, so it appears that the sight was installed left to right. After removing the set screw on the rear sight (which nearly was loose enough from the factory to have fallen out) and soaking the screw hole with CA debonding solution, I am unable to get the rear sight to move to the left at all. I'm using a brass punch (with tape on the nose) and a gunsmith hammer, driving the sight gingerly from right to left. Or trying to, anyway.

Alternatives in order of preference:

1. Ask the forum for advice!

2. Try again using a bit more force. Maybe some heat on the slide. Concerned about damaging the finish, though.

3. Get crazy and buy a sight pusher. This is my only Colt 1911, although I do have other 1911s.

4. Tolerate the error, since this gun won't be used in any competition.

5. Take it to a gunsmith. Around these parts, gunsmiths operate somewhat like a Mercedes Dealer, where the ante to open the hood is about $100. No kidding.

If you'd care to offer any useful advice about dealing with this rear sight, I am eager to hear from you.

Chris

Edited by cohland

Assuming you have the slide secured in a solid vise, removal should always be left to right, and installation right to left. If that doesn't help, then take it to a 'smith... it will still probably be cheaper than a good sight pusher.

I had exactly the opposite problem with my colt Xse. I no longer own it.

To your point. When I encounter the problem you describe I put the slide in a padded vice, get a brass punch and a 2 pound steel face hammer. A firm rap usually breaks it loose better that tapping.

On the rare occasion that doesn't work I apply a little heat to the completely disassembled slide with my big soldering iron.

Hope this helps

Though I did not have a problem with poi on my XSE, my sights were VERY tight when I swapped them out. The dovetails and sights are 'fit' at the factory, rather just slammed in the slot.

Get your self a sturdy brass punch from Home Depot, shorter the better, put it in a vise and give it some good solid Hits. It will move.

When you get the sight out, dress the corners with a file slightly, you may even need to take off a little material from the dovetail itself.

George

Though I did not have a problem with poi on my XSE, my sights were VERY tight when I swapped them out. The dovetails and sights are 'fit' at the factory, rather just slammed in the slot.

Get your self a sturdy brass punch from Home Depot, shorter the better, put it in a vise and give it some good solid Hits. It will move.

When you get the sight out, dress the corners with a file slightly, you may even need to take off a little material from the dovetail itself.

George

George;

I took your advice and it worked like a charm. All I wanted to do was to move the sight, and a couple of good hits did the job. Being gentle just didn't pay off in this case.

Thank you!

By the way, I am considering changing sights, to an adjustable rear and fiber optic front. What sights did you install? Trying to find a fit for the Novak cut is a little more challenging than I had expected.

Chris

I have gone through many sights trying to find just what I liked. I now use the same set up on all of my pistols. Black serrated rear 40 or 50 LPI and a green fiber optic or tritium front.

The rear sights I like a Harrison design and 10-8 performance. Both come serrated so I don't have to do it and they are black. They will both fit in a Novak cut.

I used to like novak sights but no longer like dots in the rear and I am not a big fan of the way they are inletted.

George