Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building your own 2011?

poison123

So guys I've been giving a lot of thought on building from the ground up a 2011. And by that I mean started with preferably a fitted frame/slide and doing everything else myself.

A couple of questions:

1.) Does anyone have any good links on process etc? Or Books they would recommend for it?

2.) Does anyone know who might have a frame/fitted slide combo in stock?

I realize it probably won't come out the way I'm thinking. But I'm bored and need something to fill my time with, and just want to give it a try.

Check out Brownells. They have a online video classes for working on 1911/2011. They also have other rescources on the subject anspecial tools and fixtures needed to do the job. My friend has built three 1911's and two 2011's using STI and Caspian components and has little practical machining experience. You should be able to buy a unfinished frame and slide and be able to do a descent job fitting them yourself. I have 33 years experience as a tool and die maker and CNC programmer and I am setting up a machine shop in my barn and will be working on a 1911 project myself soon.

If you have the time and money Bob Rodgers who is one of the premier 1911 pistol smiths holds a 6 day class at his shop in Mountain Home Arkansas.

Under his guidance you will machine and build a Caspian 1911 to custom standards. The course runs $3650 which includes all the components needed. You will also have access to machinery and tools to finish the job. I do not know if he will allow you to substitute a 2011. If you try to buy all the premium parts yourself it would end up costing you about $2000 alone and does not include any specialized machines, tools and fixtures needed. Plus you will have Bob there to guide you.

I'm just waiting on my frame to start my build. The AGI videos are probably the best for watching someone doing a build. There is also the Wilson Combat video and the Gunsmithing the 1911 with Paul Liebenberg DVD. All have useful info.

I think Shooters Connection has slide/frame kits.

Brownells has frames in stock

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

So I think I've found the frame and slide. Of course the bigger issue now is.....where in gods name can I get a barrel? The Kart easy fits look good, but it looks like only brownells has them and they are backordered.