Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ace entry stock

midget

Using a lighter and shorter stock will move the balance point of your rifle even farther forward, won't it?

If you're using the rifle length skeleton stock, you won't save much overall weight by switching to the entry length, especially considering the heavier buffer for the short tube.

I'm using the long M4 SOCOM stock, which is a little heavier than the skeleton stocks, but uses a rifle length buffer.

Using a lighter and shorter stock will move the balance point of your rifle even farther forward, won't it?

If you're using the rifle length skeleton stock, you won't save much overall weight by switching to the entry length, especially considering the heavier buffer for the short tube.

I'm using the long M4 SOCOM stock, which is a little heavier than the skeleton stocks, but uses a rifle length buffer.

My thought that the weight difference will be negligible and I wil still be using the same buffer setup (JP captured). So having a stock that is 2" shorter will move the rifles center of gravity 2" closer to me. Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

If you lighten the stock the gun feels more nose heavy as the weight came off the back of the gun. In order for the gun to balance the balance point goes forward to allow more weight to go behind the original balance point. If you want the barrel to feel lighter and balance closer to the magwell you want a heavier stock. For stock length with both a rifle and a shotgun set it for where it feels comfortable to you as a shooter and your paticular style. The loo in the entry stock is extremely short and is similar to a 6 position one position out. A Standard a2 stock will put a little more weight in the stock and the magpul prs will add alot more but make for a pretty heavy rifle

If you lighten the stock the gun feels more nose heavy as the weight came off the back of the gun. In order for the gun to balance the balance point goes forward to allow more weight to go behind the original balance point. If you want the barrel to feel lighter and balance closer to the magwell you want a heavier stock. For stock length with both a rifle and a shotgun set it for where it feels comfortable to you as a shooter and your paticular style. The loo in the entry stock is extremely short and is similar to a 6 position one position out. A Standard a2 stock will put a little more weight in the stock and the magpul prs will add alot more but make for a pretty heavy rifle

I was looking at getting the PRS for a while, but decided against it. My rifle is around 7.8lbs right now with an unloaded mag... The majority of this weight is in the SPR barrel and upper receiver...

If you shorten the stock, it will move the center of gravity of the rifle towards you, but won't change the balance point.

More weight in the butt will balance it out. Kind of like lady that's top heavy, but w/ a little bitty waist.... HA HA!

The balance and weight is pretty much preference. I generally like a heavier gun that's a little nose heavy as I come from a skeet shooting background where I shot a 11.5 pound nose heavy krieghoff for me at least that works better. If you want a more neutral balance your only real options are lighten the barrel/foreend or ass weight to the stock.

I ended up just taking the 1" rubber pad off the back of the stock. The rifle feels more controllable to me now.

Certainly the least expensive way to fix it! :)

JDMarshall, I'm using the SOCOM similar to yours, but the long version that uses a rifle length tube and buffer. I love it.

Edited by Bryan 45