Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Memories

Chuck D

While discussing the "good old days" with a shooting buddy over the phone we both asked each other what events/memories we cherished the most over the years in regards to shooting. Three immediately came to mind.

1. Meeting TGO in Phoenix in 1988 at one of his two day shooting classes. He was nothing like I expected and it's not everyday you get to meet not only one of your heroes...but the best in the business at what he does. The crown jewel of the weekend was that he let me borrow one of his Ernie Hill LE model holsters....as long as I didn't screw it up.

2. At the 1991 Bianchi Cup, I finished the match on the Barracade Event. After I completed the last run on the barracades I turned and headed back to the scorers table to p/u my score sheet to find out TGO had watched me shoot the event. He stopped me to ask how I thought I did and offer his best wishes. I finished up the match with a 1906-132x,took third place in Master class and got to receive my award at the podium during the banquet.

3. I finally made the Top 16 (15th.overall,Standard Division) at the 2002 IPSC Canada Nationals in Halifax N.S. I'm really not sure why but that match has awlays been a special one for me,probably because I get to share the same squad with one of my best friends and shooting coach Murray Gardner.

Whenever I think of past accomplishments these three AWLAYS come to mind. It's good to know where you come from...and how you got to where you are.

Chuck,

Nice post.  It is also nice to see a USPSA member who attends Canadian matches!

How long have you known Murray?  I have only met him once or twice (he hosted the Natl's in '01 out in BC), but seems to be quite an interesting character.  Also, he has been in the game from the start as I hear it.

I met Murray in 1989 in a Montreal suburb at a Canadian Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup) match. He invited me to Vancouver to shoot a provincial championship later on that summer. I took him up on his offer. There I met Kerry Lathwell and Gary Wright and the three of us became fast friends. Murray and I usually room together when we get together to shoot in the "Great White North". He IS a character all right...and an eating machine. He's also one of the few true "champions" I've ever met that would give you the time of day. One of the best friends I've ever had.