Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BASE PAD FAILure

Ofishl1

Area 2 a couple years back, my first "Major",..nervously cleaning all my .40 Sti mags for the 3rd time, happen to catch the Great One Rob Leatham hanging out by stage 10 after a quick chat and feeling pumped, I went back to my tailgate and mags, put them all to together, loaded em up and headed for the first stage of the day,...double plate racks, one on each end of the COF, running to the end for the last rack and array,..just before I stopped to shoot, slapped in a mag and mounted the gun, as soon as I did the grams pad shot off like rocket, spring went flying and 21 rounds of .40 spewing all over the ground,... staring in shock thinking I just got hit by scud,...brain came back and realized what happened, since it did not come out on its own weight, had to dig the mag tube out (no base pad) finished up the stage and sheepishly sat there digging all my stuff out of the dirt,......caution..... I have discovered at no little inconvenience that you must be SURE base pads are re-installed correctly and the little steel "U" holder that goes thru the base pad holes in a Grams base pad MUST CATCH "BOTH" OF THE MAG LIPS to hold it on.....or you will be littering the landscape with your ammo......(first and last time)

Edited by Ofishl1

Oh man. You prolly kicked yourself that day but I'm sure you will laugh about it with your friends in the future. Two weeks ago I nervously shot my first match in six months and did a stage where you shot 2 standing, 2 kneeling , and 2 prone. Did a mandatory reload and hit the next target in revers order. Needless to say when I kneeled up from the prone, there was my mag standing straight up in the dirt. That day I also had a misfeed in my AR and looked like a clown trying to clear it