Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Strike Mystery

fritzthemoose

I have a 9mm rra upper with ramp and finally after lots of work it runs great with the exception of an occasional light strike mystery. Strikes are pretty deep very deep in fact and right in the middle where thy are supposed to be, but every once in a while one will not fire and when checking there is barely a mark on the primer. The next one has a nice deep one again and when shooting the light one again its nice and deep. This happens with different type of amo also with facotry one as well as with reloaded one.

any idea???

I vote for ammo also. Being straight cased 9mm headspaces from the case, perhaps your cases are a little short. Check your case length of light strike brass against a normal case.

Edited by Nebwake

Hello Fritz,

Although Nebwake has a very good point about 9mm head-spacing from the case, I'm thinking more along the lines of a very small piece of errant debris. Were it ammo related IMO, the second attempt with the same light strike round should yield the same light strike result because it is the ammo producing the light strike, not the weapon. The fact that rather than a light strike a normal strike occurs is the reason i don't think it ammo related.

I am very familiar with light strikes in shotguns, and a lightly struck round will not fire on the second attempt most of the time. It will usually fire in someone else's shotgun that has a longer firing pin. Browning O/U's had a real run of this and finally came out with longer replacement firing pins that were then consistent.

I'd take it apart and inspect it under a very bright light and give it a real going over, take a real good look at each piece, it might also be some small burr. Then I'd give it a serious "wash," lube and head for the range.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Hello Fritz,

Although Nebwake has a very good point about 9mm head-spacing from the case, I'm thinking more along the lines of a very small piece of errant debris. Were it ammo related IMO, the second attempt with the same light strike round should yield the same light strike result because it is the ammo producing the light strike, not the weapon. The fact that rather than a light strike a normal strike occurs is the reason i don't think it ammo related.

I am very familiar with light strikes in shotguns, and a lightly struck round will not fire on the second attempt most of the time. It will usually fire in someone else's shotgun that has a longer firing pin. Browning O/U's had a real run of this and finally came out with longer replacement firing pins that were then consistent.

I'd take it apart and inspect it under a very bright light and give it a real going over, take a real good look at each piece, it might also be some small burr. Then I'd give it a serious "wash," lube and head for the range.

Tar

will do that but just in case although check the lenght but thx