Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre Ban 7.62 X 39 AR

Moondoggie

My local gun dealer has one....I'm interested in it. Same rationale as my .41 Mag, I'm attracted to unusual guns/calibers. I've got an SKS, and actually like the way it shoots...well worth the $69 I paid for it before the ban.

I'm a retired Marine, and therefore fairly familiar with AR's, but never wanted to actually own one. 223 is NOT my favorite caliber, I had a 700 BDL Varmit years ago but traded it off when I left prairie dog country.

The 7.62 X 39 uses regular AR mags, just a couple of less rds per mag.

Since I've started shooting pistol, now I'm beginning to think about 3 gun sometime in the future. Got this safe full of guns, I ought to use some of them!

Is an AR in this caliber a viable platform to start building a rifle for IPSC? Hey, at least the ammo is cheap!

Well the pre-post thing is a dead issue so don't pay a premium becasue he says its a pre-ban.

7.63x39 uses different mags than the 223 and you don't see them avaialble very often.

I've shot a couple and they aren't bad but the recoil is heavier. If your goal is three gun get over your 223 hang up and buy a 223 gun. Mags are cheap and its a much better 3-gun rifle.

No sugar-coating here either, sorry....

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for 3 gun. After you realize you're totally uncompetitive shooting minor with more recoil, have to worry about bullet drop at 350 yards, and are making reloads where others aren't, you'll spend far more between the cost of the rifle and the parts to convert it to a 223 as you would have buying a ready made race rifle from JP or DPMS or Benny Hill or whomever.

Trust me on this. I'm getting my Colt Hbar turned into a 3 gun rifle. It is not a money saving maneuver.

Rifle: $900

Trigger: $200

Fixing Colt's crappy manufacturing: $250

Muzzle Break: $75

Freefloat Handguard: Normally $50 to $100, but free thanks to my dear Uncle Bill

New Barrel (for your gun): $200

We're already in the $1700 range. Why not just buy a gun that's done right from the get-go? You're not saving anything by buying a fixer-upper that's so far off the mark.

Where you may be able to save money is by buying a rifle out of the USPSA classifieds. Lots of good deals to be had there.

Thanks for the input!

Some of those points were kinda floating around up there, especially the recoil and more frequent reloads. Also the questionable ballistics.

Guess I'll save my money and go and observe a 3 gun match or two and see what folks are shooting (and what they've done to them).

No point if buying a white elephant.