Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mid-length vs. carbine gas sytem on AR

chp5

In a 16" barreled AR, does the mid-length gas system make much difference in feel as compared to a traditional carbine length gas system (i.e., smoother operation and less bucking around)? If so, how much difference?

Please assume that each barrel is in identical in weight.

I've seen some comments on other threads, but I'd like a thread directly on point. Thanks.

A mid-length gas system feels closer to shooting a 20" than shooting a carbine. There is less long term wear on parts with a mid-length gas system too.

Thanks.

Who makes 16" mid-lengths? Just Armalite and RRA?

I believe all of Armalite's 16" barrels are mid length, aren't they?

A mid-length gas system feels closer to shooting a 20" than shooting a carbine.  There is less long term wear on parts with a mid-length gas system too.

Thanks.

Who makes 16" mid-lengths? Just Armalite and RRA?

I believe all of Armalite's 16" barrels are mid length, aren't they?

Armalite, Rock River, M&A Parts....we (Cavalry Arms) will have them at some point in the future too. We've had mid-length uppers on order for almost 9 months now with the subcontractor we use, they also do work for the government so our orders get bumped regularly.

The main difference between all of them is the barrel profiles offered, type of steel used, chrome lined/not chrome lined, and rifle twist rate. Any one of the manufacturers should work fine for you depending on your personal preferences and intended purpose.